Windows Volume Control

gcha2 19:25 14 Dec 2005

I have a problem!
I cannot get a sound card to produce any sound from a music CD. The cd drive is working ok and the tracks show and appear to be playing in Media Player but no sound!. I suspect that the Volume Control is set to mute but when I try to access it from Accessories,Entertainment nothing happens - all other options work OK. Any suggestions.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:29 14 Dec 2005

Sound setup
click here

Audeal 19:33 14 Dec 2005

Try clicking on the speaker icon next to the clock to check if it is muted. If it not muted then click on > Options > Properties. Select Recording and make sure "Line In" is ticked then click OK and put a tick in the select box under "Line In"

gcha2 18:44 15 Dec 2005

For Audeal

Unfortunately there is no speaker icon on which to click?

gcha2 18:47 15 Dec 2005

For Fruit Bat /\0/
I have printed out your link and will work through it and let ytou know the result

Hamish 18:53 15 Dec 2005

Look in start - settings - control panel - sounds and audio and see if that helps

eedcam 19:00 15 Dec 2005

If you click on your Sound card/sounds and audio devices you should be able to access the volume control you are saying you do get sound from other sources

Wak 19:08 15 Dec 2005

Hi, It's possible that the volume control isn't even loaded!!!
Go in to Control Panel/ Add, Remove Programs/ Windows Setup tab/ Multimedia/ and put a tick in Volume control.
You will need your Windows CD for this.
Hth.

Wak 19:10 15 Dec 2005

PS. the above refers to win 98SE but win XP should be very similar.

Stuartli 19:23 15 Dec 2005

Windows Media Player itself has a Mute button...:-)

gcha2 17:44 07 Jan 2006

Hi All

Thank you for your responses. I've been away for a while and not yet caught up with the problem again. I should have mentioned that the OS is Win98. I have already worked through some of the suggestions without success. I will come back later

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone