Windows Vista/XP sharing conflict

sniperfx20 05:30 24 Nov 2007

I have tried to look around on the web but i still have yet to figure this out =(.

Basically i have two computers:
1) Windows XP desktop
2) Vista Labtop
Connected via wireless router...
My goal is to send a file from windows XP to vista.
I tried making both computers share the same "workgroup name".

I can view both computers in the workgroup under my windows XP computer but i am unable to even acess the windows vista computer in it. Something about restriction/ premission....anyways....

on my labtop (vista). i cant even see if my windows XP computer is connected to my labtop or not.

I have done several steps such as put the file sharing on windows xp (easy!) but being unable to even see it / read it from the vista labtop is unforunate....

any help please?!!!!!!!

xearo 07:40 24 Nov 2007

If you're using a wireless router sometimes that router has a built-in Firewall that will block the those 2 computers to communicate... what is the brand name of your wireless router?

sniperfx20 07:56 24 Nov 2007

thanks for replying:

Linksys
BEFW11S4

if it isn't my router, then any idea what else i can do???

mgmcc 08:14 24 Nov 2007

In Vista's "Network & Sharing Center" ensure you have switched "On"

- Network Discovery
- File Sharing
- Public Folder Sharing

For the moment, leave the other three "Off".

In the XP PC, download and install the "Link Layer Topology Discovery Responder from Microsoft's website click here

In the XP PC, ensure you have set at least one folder as "shared" by reight clicking and selecting the Sharing & Security option. Any firewall software should be configured to allow access to the networked computers.

If you are running XP *PROFESSIONAL*, you will need to be logged in to the Vista PC with the same Username/Password as the XP PC, or have an Account set up in XP Pro with a Username/Password that matches that of the Vista PC.

If you go into Vista's "Network" (equivalent of My Network Places) and type the path to the XP PC in its address bar, you should see the XP PC's shared folder(s). Use the format of double backslash and computer name or double backslash and its IP address:

\\computername

\\computername\sharedfolder

\\192.168.x.x

sniperfx20 21:25 24 Nov 2007

ty, ill try it now!

sniperfx20 22:07 24 Nov 2007

wow thanks it worked! the
\\computername

\\computername\sharedfolder

didnt work but when i typed in the IP address it worked :D!!!!!!

mgmcc 07:27 25 Nov 2007

"computername" not working could be a DNS issue. It is the DNS server's job to translate names into IP addreses.

Check to see what DNS addresses each adapter has - one should be the router's IP address and the other(s) as allocated by the ISP. Using the router as a DNS server resolves the addresses for computers in the Local Area Network, which seems to be what isn't happening.

sniperfx20 20:48 25 Nov 2007

how do u check dns servers? i have no idea !

mgmcc 22:41 25 Nov 2007

To check the DNS server addresses, open a Command Prompt window ("Start > Run", type CMD and click OK) and at the prompt, type:

IPCONFIG /ALL

and press Enter. This will show details of all network adapters in the PC including their DNS server addresses. Screenshot - click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?