Windows Vista and WD 1tb external HDD

faulties 18:11 18 Nov 2013
Answered

Hi there. I run a Windows Vista pc with a WD 1tb external HDD. These have worked well together for several years.

Suddenly Windows doesn't see the WD as it used to. It now calls it Local Disc F and asks to format it whenever I click on the drive icon. I'd rather not as there's about 400gb of various data on there.

I've tried it on my Windows 7 laptop with the same result. I've tried booting up, then turning the WD on. I've tried booting with it already attached and turned on.

I can't find a way into the case it's in. I thought I'd try it in another case I have but I'd rather not have to destroy this one. The other case is old and uses a different power connector so I can't just swap the connectors over.

I've looked in computer management/disk management which sees the hard drive as (F:) 931.51GB RAW Healthy (Primary Partition)

I’m at a loss as to what to do next. I really need the data on this hard drive, I don’t have any on either of my computers – try to keep them clean so they work better. I do have some backups but not everything unfortunately. Been a bit lazy of late :$

Does anyone have any ideas about getting the drive working or, at least, getting the data off it so I can format it please?

Thanks.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:22 18 Nov 2013

Testdisk is the software to use to try and recover the partitions on the disk but its not easy.

1">[click here is supposed to be easier and should find your files once all files are recovered then you can reformat the drive to reuse it.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:34 18 Nov 2013
  faulties 18:35 18 Nov 2013

Fruit Bat /\0/\

That link leads to a 'HTTP 404 Not Found page'.

I've downloaded the Testdisk software which I'll try tomorrow, thanks.

faulties 18:37 18 Nov 2013

Fruit Bat /\0/\

Errmm, that was the first link by the way. :)

faulties 15:58 20 Nov 2013
Answer

Ok. I've got it sorted.

I managed to get the drive out of it's case and put it into the other case I have. Works fine now.

Though I am going to buy another 1tb drive to use as backup, sure it'll be easier than splitting it across 2 drives, which is what I have to do at the moment.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ Thanks. I did try the Puran File Recovery software you pointed me to but it took hours to find a jumble of files that would have been a nightmare to sort through.

Thanks anyway, going shopping on Amazon now. :)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?