windows vista start up error message

timerep 10:38 31 Jan 2009

hi when the desktop is loading a window appears with error loading winqap32.rom modual cannot be found is there any way of getting rid of this.
thanks

gazzaho 11:21 31 Jan 2009

I googled the phrase winqap32 and it would appear to be linked to of some kind.

read click here

and click here:*:IE-SearchBox&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&sourceid=ie7&rlz=1I7ADBF_en

mocha 11:28 31 Jan 2009

Hi timerep,

As gazzaho suggests it is part of the vundo virus registry entries, I would do an antivirus scan and also an antimalware scan, a good malware scanner is malwarebytes antimalware click here

Good Luck.

timerep 14:15 31 Jan 2009

hmm, I ran superantispyware the other day it found a few things and I let it get rid of them, only to find the pc wouldnt re boot had to get the windows vista disc and do a repair. also running windows defender and avast anti virus which does real time protection.i was under the impression that defender and superantispyware would sort out most of the threats out there but it seems it doesnt is the malwarebytes better than the superantispyware?

crosstrainer 14:24 31 Jan 2009

Superantispyware will get rid of the Vundo nastie (there are now 100's of variants) if it's kept up to date.

I would start the machine in safe mode, and run it again (make sure you have the latest updates first the latest was this morning)

gazzaho 14:43 31 Jan 2009

Oops, should have inserted malware in my last thread and recommended doing a scan with Malwarebytes or similar, sorry.

In my defense I was just up and the brain was still fuzzy... well that's my excuse.

mocha 21:06 31 Jan 2009

Hi timerep,

Sometimes registry entries are not deleted when any virus/malware checker rids your computer of the offending program/nasty.

Avast has always worked 100% for me in real time till late but has allowed two nasties onto my computer without warnings within last month with no warning?

I rate Malwarebytes as a top malware scanner, check the malware forums for confirmation.

MAJ 21:34 31 Jan 2009

Had a few laptops in the other day, all infected with Vundo, among other things. Vundofix click here was a good help. Download, install and run it,click the "Scan for Vundo" button, when the scan is finished, click the "Fix Vundo" button and reboot your PC.

timerep 13:15 01 Feb 2009

hi guys again,
well have run vundo fix and a fully updated superantispyware but still no joy. on start up when loading the desktop the rull ddl message comes up error loading winqap.32rom the modual could not be found. getting a pain now any other ideas?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?