windows vista rtm installation help ! and problems

stephen0205 17:16 09 Dec 2006

hi there i recently paid £320 for windows vista ultamate from ebay and i went to install it and havent got a clue - what i want to know is that i have windows xp home on my acer laptop which is under warrny . if i install vista over it does that mean i will loose windows xp and all my acer erecovery stuff (the acer recovery stuff is hidden so u cant touch it but will this erase it.) also i put it on my other pc to test it cause it doesent have an os but when i got to play some games and watch some videos it goes to a blue error screen and retartss can anyone help.

terryf 17:25 09 Dec 2006

Are you sure that you have a legitimate copy from Ebay? If it is anything like other windows products and is genuine it is likely that you will lose everything that is currently on your machine, but then you have it all backed up don't you? Have you got a license that allows you to put the copy on more than one machine at the same time? It is 'possible' that the installation will over-write the acer partition if you accidentally press the wrong key but it shouldn't. Again, you have that partition all backed up anyway so it shouldn't matter :-)

Kate B 17:28 09 Dec 2006

Er, you've been had. At best you've got a beta version, which was available free for a long time. The consumer product hasn't launched yet and isn't available (unless you've got a good contact at Microsoft). I would try and get your money back from the seller, and report him or her to eBay; and don't install it. The various beta versions were usable but as is inevitable with betas, there were various issues with them.

Get your money back and wait for the real version which is released next month. And put it down to experience.

terryf 17:32 09 Dec 2006

But according to this site click here it is available but without clicking through, I am not sure whether Amazon is only taking orders for the future

terryf 17:34 09 Dec 2006

Yeah, Amazon site says 'Availability: This item will be released on February 2, 2007. Pre-order now! '

stephen0205 18:36 09 Dec 2006

it has a cool vurvy box and looks genuine and the reciept is in dollars

freaky 18:50 09 Dec 2006

Bookmarked !!!

stephen0205 13:50 10 Dec 2006

thanks .... and i t was installed on my other pc but not actrivated so it has 30 day trial...just done ti to see if it works. So will this effect my warrenty?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment utiliser Live Photos ?