windows vista on logical partition within extended

Stephanie 13:18 30 Mar 2009

Having messed up my hard drive boot sector trying to dual boot vista and linux, I managed to restore my vista partition using an image I had created with Acronis True Image 10.
Thank goodness it worked, but when I checked in Disk Management, my c: drive is now a logical partition in an extended partition.

Vista is booting ok and everything seems to be working but all the info I can find says that what I am doing is impossible - that I cannot boot from a logical drive.

Should I just ignore it or is there something I can do to make the c: partition primary?

I don't have and installation cd for vista. I do have a recovery partition, but seem to be unable to access it!

MAJ 13:35 30 Mar 2009

Go to Start > Run (or hold down the Windows key and press R) and type in:

diskmgmt.msc

and press OK. Take a screenshot of that page and post a picture of it here.

Stephanie 14:11 30 Mar 2009

I have got a screenshot. How do I post it?

As an update to my original post, I can now access my recovery partition and could restore to factory condition. Would this restore my c:drive as primary?
There was originally only on partition on my hd apart from recovery.

MAJ 15:10 30 Mar 2009

"I have got a screenshot. How do I post it?"

Upload it to Imageshack, click here that will give you a link to the picture, post that link in your next post.

Let's see what that shows, before doing anything else.

Stephanie 15:45 30 Mar 2009

Try this [URL=click here][IMG]click here[/IMG][/URL]

Stephanie 15:48 30 Mar 2009

Disc 1 is the boot disc.

Stephanie 14:41 31 Mar 2009

Checking around various forums and tech sites, it seems that vista CAN run from a logical partition as mine obviously does! I think I shall leave well alone for now.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Lightwell software lets you create mobile apps without using code

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Comment désactiver les programmes qui s'exécutent au démarrage de Windows 10 ?