Windows Vista express upgrade. for dells only?

Internetwhizzkid 16:04 21 Oct 2007

Hi,
A while ago we got a cd from dell which was a free express upgrade to windows vista home basic. Now this had never been opened as we had upgraded to ultimate. it took that long for home basic to arrive. Anyway the disk is now gathering dust and I was just wondering, are we able to sell it on ebay and will it work only on dell computers or can it run on other manufactures as well. Again the disk is still unopended never been activated and still has the sticker with the license on it

Thanks
Ben

LABMAN 22:15 21 Oct 2007

Hi Ben,

I'm no expert on the legal ramifications of selling your disk on but I'd imagine there will be something buried somewhere in the small print of paragraph 900, sub paragragh 1200 article z saying you can't.

One thing I do know is that if it's a Dell OEM disc it will most ceretainly only work on a Dell PC or laptop.

ventanas 22:32 21 Oct 2007

The legal position is perfectly clear. The CD is tied to the computer it was intended for. It is a Dell OEM version of Windows. You cannot sell it nor can you give it away. if you never intend to use it all you can do is throw it away.

Don't forget you do not own the software. All you have paid for is a licence to use it, for as long as you remain within the terms of that licence.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Aardman's new YouTube channel to share the work of independent animators

iPhone X vs Samsung Galaxy Note 8

Les meilleurs navigateurs internet 2017