Windows Vista desktop icons

roi 11:00 25 Jul 2008

Having trouble with Kodak software for my all-in-one 5300, I tried to re-download it and got an error message. Following the link I was advised to download Kodak Clear Utility. I did, and ran it. All my desktop icons (except Control Panel, Computer, IE, and Recycle Bin have had a generic icon superimposed upon them. Even if I try to add a new folder or shortcut, I get the same super-imposition. Any ideas how I can overcome this?

Technotiger 11:09 25 Jul 2008

If you have TweakUI for Vista you should be able to find Repair and the option to repair your icons.

I use XP so can't explain exactly, but I have TweakUI for XP which has repaired my icons successfully when I had a similar experience.

click here

Technotiger 11:10 25 Jul 2008
  Technotiger 11:13 25 Jul 2008

Sorry about that - I blame Google, try this one ...

click here

roi 11:18 25 Jul 2008

Microsoft have not produced a TWEAKUI for Vista, and sadly none of your links works!

Technotiger 11:19 25 Jul 2008

I don't know what is happening here - I am left wondering if Microsoft are preventing the use of TweakUI in Vista. All my above links found via Google, are for TweakUI in Vista.

Sorry about any inconvenience.

Technotiger 11:20 25 Jul 2008

Try a Google yourself, just type in Vista TweakUI -and you will see what I am getting at.

Technotiger 11:38 25 Jul 2008

I have had another look at my links, but this time directly from within Google, they all work fine - so I am now wondering if it is this PCA site which is somehow preventing the links from working, perhaps in conjunction with Microsoft??

rdave13 11:39 25 Jul 2008

Have a look here; click here

sinbads 11:39 25 Jul 2008
  roi 11:44 25 Jul 2008

Many thanks for your suggestions.

I downloaded TWEAKUI for XP and hit 'run'. Despite all the incompatibility warnings, all the icons repaired themselves! I have now uninstalled the program, but kept a copy in my downloads folder.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Nokia 8 vs Galaxy S8

How artist Alex Yanes worked with his daughter on this bright 3D mural for Monument Valley 2

iMac 21.5-inch (2017) review

Comment regarder le lancement du Galaxy Note 8 en direct ?