Windows Vista desktop icons

roi 11:00 25 Jul 2008

Having trouble with Kodak software for my all-in-one 5300, I tried to re-download it and got an error message. Following the link I was advised to download Kodak Clear Utility. I did, and ran it. All my desktop icons (except Control Panel, Computer, IE, and Recycle Bin have had a generic icon superimposed upon them. Even if I try to add a new folder or shortcut, I get the same super-imposition. Any ideas how I can overcome this?

Technotiger 11:09 25 Jul 2008

If you have TweakUI for Vista you should be able to find Repair and the option to repair your icons.

I use XP so can't explain exactly, but I have TweakUI for XP which has repaired my icons successfully when I had a similar experience.

click here

Technotiger 11:10 25 Jul 2008
  Technotiger 11:13 25 Jul 2008

Sorry about that - I blame Google, try this one ...

click here

roi 11:18 25 Jul 2008

Microsoft have not produced a TWEAKUI for Vista, and sadly none of your links works!

Technotiger 11:19 25 Jul 2008

I don't know what is happening here - I am left wondering if Microsoft are preventing the use of TweakUI in Vista. All my above links found via Google, are for TweakUI in Vista.

Sorry about any inconvenience.

Technotiger 11:20 25 Jul 2008

Try a Google yourself, just type in Vista TweakUI -and you will see what I am getting at.

Technotiger 11:38 25 Jul 2008

I have had another look at my links, but this time directly from within Google, they all work fine - so I am now wondering if it is this PCA site which is somehow preventing the links from working, perhaps in conjunction with Microsoft??

rdave13 11:39 25 Jul 2008

Have a look here; click here

sinbads 11:39 25 Jul 2008
  roi 11:44 25 Jul 2008

Many thanks for your suggestions.

I downloaded TWEAKUI for XP and hit 'run'. Despite all the incompatibility warnings, all the icons repaired themselves! I have now uninstalled the program, but kept a copy in my downloads folder.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone