Windows Vista Boot Problems

cooge 12:51 29 Jun 2010

Ok So heres my problem.
I have a pc that originaly came with Windows XP on it with a free uprade to Vista. I got the Vista upgrade bought a second hard drive and installed that as a dual boot config. Everything working fine. As I wasnt using the XP OS I decided to install Win 7 evalustion on that drive and do away with XP. Again everything fine for about 9 months. Then I decided to take off Win 7 by formatting that partition with it on but leaving the original Boot partition for XP so I could load this back on.
Now I couldnt boot into Vista at all just a black screen with no options.
So i reload XP onto the original drive and this allows me to boot into XP through the boot options window and into VIsta if I put the Vista Disc in the drive???
I have done a repair using the vista repair options on the discs like some forums suggest but it will not boot without disc in. If booting without disc in i get the "NTLDER is missing error" which is probably becuase i stupidly installed XP after Vista corrupting the boot.ini file along the way somewhere.
How can I fix this so the Vista OS boots without having the disc in the drive and possibly restore the Dual Boot system I had previously, where I had a choice of OS's to boot from?

BurrWalnut 14:24 29 Jun 2010

Boot to Vista using the DVD, then download EasyBCD, scroll down here click here and get the instructions here click here

Once it's installed, go to the Add/Remove Entries Tab > Add Entry at the bottom. From the drop-down Windows Tab select Windows XP, give it a meaningful name and point it to the appropriate drive/partition.

cooge 10:59 01 Jul 2010

Thanks for that BurrWalnut.
I will give this a go at the weekend ans see if this fixes the problem.
I will mark as resolved if it does.

cooge 09:12 06 Jul 2010

Hi BurrWalnut

I tried the program and followed the instruction. This successfully displayed the dual boot screen on restart but only after starting with th disc in.
Previously if I didnt have the disc in i would get the "NTLDR IS MISSING" message.
This still happened So i loaded up the easy boot manager again and removed all entries then recreated the Vista boot record and restarted.
Now I get the "BOOT MGR IS MISSING" error message but can still start up with disc in.

Not sure what to do next on this. Please help.

sherwoodsolns 09:48 06 Jul 2010

disable the xp drive.

boot from Vista CD and do a repair install

this will remove boot manager and restore ntldr and boot to the single drive with Vista on it

replace / reconnect the XP drive

see if you can boot into Vista without any dual boot menu - problem solved

dual booting is full of problems - try instead pressing F10 on boot up and select manually the XP drive to boot from - fiddly but simpler - or use bios to select the xp boot drive.

hope that helps....

cooge 11:01 13 Jul 2010

Sorry for the late post.

Thanks BurrWallnut & Sherwoodsolns a combinations of both solutions have fixed this problem.

Much appriciated.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone