Windows virtual memory too low?

budget84 15:55 14 Oct 2009

Sorry to keep asking questions the last couple of days, I do really appreciate all the advice I have been given so far, it's really helped thank you. I've just been having so many problems with my laptop it's been crazy, especially as I use it for work purposes. Hopefully this is the last question for a while...

From time to time I get a message come up saying my windows virtual memory is too low, I can't recall off the top of my head what the whole message says but it's a couple of sentences. I have Windows XP and a Dell laptop. A friend mentioned briefly that it could be because my memory is set to custom settings??? What does the virtual memory being low mean? And how do I change this and go about sorting this issue out?

Thanks so much!

Ventad 17:09 14 Oct 2009

Its been over an hour now, suprised that nobody with XP has answered you. I have vista but it might be the same/or it might be worth trying:-
Control panel/performance information/advanced tools/adjust appearence and performance of windows/advanced TAB/virtual memory/change/let windows decide/ok/ok/close

this might bring someone with XP in as your thread will go to the top again

budget84 17:15 14 Oct 2009

Thank you ventad, I appreciate that! However, in my control panel I do not have the performance information option. Thank you for getting back to me though.

Ventad 17:22 14 Oct 2009

click here
scroll down until you see:-How to manually change the size of the virtual memory paging file

budget84 17:34 14 Oct 2009

Argh! I'm so sorry ventad but I'm not that knowledable on computers. I appreciate the site link you sent me, but I don't understand what I'm reading. I mean to be honest I don't know what virtual memory is, and if I should be changing it etc???

Ventad 17:40 14 Oct 2009

Yes you can change it with no bother it is a place on the hard disk that windows uses simular to RAM Memory.
Click Start, click Run, type sysdm.cpl in the Open box, and then press ENTER.
Click the Advanced tab, and then under Performance click Settings.
Click the Advanced tab, and then under Virtual memory click Change.
Under Drive [Volume Label], click the drive that contains the paging file that you want to change.
Under Paging file size for selected drive, click Custom size, type a new paging file size in megabytes (MB) in the Initial size (MB) or Maximum size (MB) box, and then click Set.
Click OK to close the dialog box and apply changes.
Note After you change the size of the paging file, you may be prompted to restart Windows. If you are prompted to restart, the changes will not take effect until Windows is restarted.

Ventad 17:42 14 Oct 2009

I believe there is also a tick box to let 'windows manage file size'

sorry but I am being called for tea now

Sea Urchin 18:02 14 Oct 2009
  woodchip 18:20 14 Oct 2009

Right Click C:\ drive Properties, to see how much free space its got

woodchip 18:27 14 Oct 2009

Right Click My Computer\Properties\Advanced\Performance\Settings\Advanced\Virtual Memory Change Button Mine is set to 756Mb on a HP Laptop with a 60Gb drive

budget84 18:33 14 Oct 2009

Thank you ventad, that's great...but what should I be writing in the new paging file size? Do I write how much RAM I have over all? Sorry you will have to bear with me!

Thank you for the site link Sea Urchin.

Woodchip...I have 52.6 GB and 20.6 free

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?