Windows Virtual Memory

Anti_Virus 19:30 28 Sep 2005

Hi, I have 512MB of RAM, and I have a 60GB Hard Drive, with a lot of it that I'm not using. I've increased my Windows Virtual Memory, and so far nothing has changed. So, my question is: is anything meant to change? I have loads of room, if I increse the virtual memory to a large number, will that speed up my computer?

MAJ 19:39 28 Sep 2005

"if I increse the virtual memory to a large number, will that speed up my computer?"

Not necessarily. You have enough RAM to run most applications without Windows needing to revert to virtual memory. Set your Virtual Memory to about 750MB, maximum and minimum.

dan11 19:52 28 Sep 2005

If I were running things like photoshop etc, I would increase that by a smidgen. Say 1gig min and 1gig max.

Anti_Virus 20:38 28 Sep 2005

Well, i think i will increase it, but are you sure i should only increse to 1GB. Trust me, hard drive space is not an issue...

dan11 21:01 28 Sep 2005

It's not going to make much difference, if any to go over 1gig. make it up to 2gig, if you wish. I do not think you will see an difference, except the loss of an extra gig of hard drive.

If you are on XP.

Then do a Ctrl+Alt+delete and look at task manager. Pick the performance tab. Commit Charge(k)

total > PF is what is used at the moment.

Limit > is total physical memory + page file.

peak > gives you the most page file used ( in this session)

I opened adobe photoshop, then a couple of hundred holiday photos. page file went from 141Mb to 267Mb. This on a 64bit laptop.

DieSse 22:46 28 Sep 2005

You're much better off setting it so that Windows can manage the swap file size automatically - then if it ever needs a larger swap file, it'll increase it.

The swapfile is merely what windows uses (on the hard drive) when it runs out of real RAM. As long as it's large enough (which it always will be if it's managed by Windows), then it will have no effect on speed at all.

DieSse 22:48 28 Sep 2005

PS - adding real RAM can speed up your system in some circumstances, as it enables windows to use the swapfile less - and real RAM is MUCH faster than virtual memory.

Stuartli 23:30 28 Sep 2005

This will answer your question in detail:

click here

zarobian 08:17 29 Sep 2005

The thunb rule for setting up VM is one and half time(x1.5) of your installed RAM.
If you have 512MB installed then you (512+256=768) should be allocating 750MB Mininum/Maximum as suggested by MAJ earlier.

Z

zarobian 08:18 29 Sep 2005

Sorry (Thumb)

dan11 10:59 29 Sep 2005

I think a lot hinges on personal preference, programmes used and system resources.

If, for instance you have 1gig+ of ram and are not into gaming do not use large image programmes or try to rip dvd's. Then no page file system may be for you. This would certainly speed up a machine as no memory is written to the hard drive.

If you have a machine with a small ammount of memory, say 128Mb and running XP. Then depending on what programmes you use, you may want to use 1 or 2gig of page filing. To try and get the maximum amount of multi tasking from the machine. This would be 8X or 16X the amount of physical ram. Windows XP will allow you to run that amount of VM with so little physical memory.

My personal preference is always to put the paging file on a partition, I always keep the min and max the same size. I also like to create a small partition to take the VM. A 2gig partition would take a 1gig VM page file. A 4gig partition would take a 2gig VM page file.

Or you can let windows do the job.

The best is always, add more ram. But in some circumstances that is always not possible. Memory may be at the limit in the older type motherboard, or you may not be able to fund extra memory at the present time.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

Microsoft Surface Book 2 hands-on review – bigger and 5x faster

Best kids apps for iPhone & iPad

Que faire si son iPhone ou iPad est tombé dans de l'eau ?