Windows validation - making insinuations about me

tasslehoff burrfoot 22:23 27 Jul 2005

Hi

I have just visited windows update and gone through the validation thingy for the first time.

This is what it says:

"The scan of your computer has completed. The Windows product key associated with your copy of Windows maps to one of the major PC manufacturers who purchase Windows product keys from Microsoft. The specific product key found on your computer maps to a major PC manufacturer that sells different hardware than the hardware found on your machine. This will not prevent you from validating now, but may cause you problems in the future. Please click Continue to complete the validation process."

What on earth! The only new hardware I have since buying the laptop is a PCMCIA wireless networking card.

This is 100% legit. The manufacturer is a well known one as is the high street chain from which I purchase the Laptop.

How can I prevent any problems in the future?

Any advice appreciated.

Thanks

Tas

User-312386 22:28 27 Jul 2005

So it did activate then?

Just a precaution from M$

Would not worry

Danoh 22:28 27 Jul 2005

You validation process would have completed successfully, despite the worrying wording. Even if you'd changed major components and a phone call to MS is required to re-validate your licence, I've heard that this is a cursory process. So I don't think you need expect any problems in the future.

DieSse 22:40 27 Jul 2005

"maps to a major PC manufacturer that sells different hardware than the hardware found on your machine"

means - MS don't yet know that this mfr sells this hardware (or haven't been told by the mfr). I'm not amazed at such lack of co-ordination - but since you clearly have not done anything wrong, there is no cause for concern.

tasslehoff burrfoot 22:47 27 Jul 2005

it did complete successfully.

The hardware in question is very old, I bought it second hand, and I have just downloaded an update for its software which, according to microsoft update was released in 2002.

Are we now not allowed to upgrade or buy new hardware at all.

I have an OEM licence so there has never been any need to validate/authenticate the license against my hardware.

Perhaps I am getting worked up about nothing, but this has really annoyed me!

Tas

DieSse 22:50 27 Jul 2005

"I have an OEM licence"

But is the licence for this particular machine? That's the important point.

VoG II 22:52 27 Jul 2005

Just Microsoft being insensitive.

Throw the machine out of the window and move on...

stalion 22:53 27 Jul 2005

Microsoft are just pointing out to you that something is different on your system to what was expected.Don't take it personally it's quite possible that because you bought secondhand something was replaced prior to you buying it.
Chill out and have a cup of tea

tasslehoff burrfoot 22:55 27 Jul 2005

everything about this is completely legit.

Apart from the fact that I had the audacity to buy a wireless network card.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 22:57 27 Jul 2005

Went throgh the validation process a couple of months ago with my brand new Medion from Aldi, guess what

IT Failed!!

download more validation software as requested by Msoft again

It FAILED!!

although still allowed me to update in the end.

just used widows upate this time passed and update software OK.

tasslehoff burrfoot 23:01 27 Jul 2005

chucking out my laptop is a bit extreme.

And it was the card that was secondhand not the laptop. And I know there is something different on my system, I bought it.

I can agree I may be overreacting somewhat.

But I just find this so insulting.

To start with I'm told that I have to be checked out because, you never know, I could be a thief or a pirate (I don't even own a parrot!).

And then I get a "okay, we're gonna let this one go this time, but we know you're not to be trusted and we will get you in the future" type message.

Tas

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?