windows updates..install problem

zinnie 08:38 18 Aug 2006

I am using XP Home....the last nine updates from Microsoft will not install........anyone ,any idea what the problem is and what can I do about it.

ArrGee 09:01 18 Aug 2006

Go to Start - Programs - Windows Update and check for the required updates. Then try and download them one at a time.

zinnie 17:33 18 Aug 2006

Thanks Arrgee for your suggestion....unfortunately it does't work...individualy the updates still fail'

brundle 17:33 18 Aug 2006

dialafix is worth a try
click here

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:00 18 Aug 2006

Start -run -type services.msc press ok

scroll down to background intelligent transfer service and make sure it is started.

zinnie 06:18 19 Aug 2006

Thanks guys for your input....dialafix doesn't seem to help and 'intelligent transfer service' has started.

nob14 06:37 19 Aug 2006

what message do you get if any and is it a
legit windows copy?

al224 09:52 19 Aug 2006

Dont have any suggestions but it may work if you get Automatic Updates to sort it out.

gudgulf 11:26 19 Aug 2006

This worked for me when 7 of the last big set of updates downloaded but failed to install.

1. Clear your temporary internet files and other temporary files.....CleanUp click here is a good tool for thyis (but DO read the "How To Use CleanUp"link)

2. Open Explorer by rightt clicking Start and selecting Explore...navigate to the main Windows folder.

Open WINDOWS, then open system32,rename the folder Catroot2 to something like Catroot2.old (or delete it).

If it won't let you rename or delete it boot into safe mode and try again.

Then boot into normal mode and try updating again.Windows will build a new Catroot2 folder.

This worked for me when 7 of the last big set of updates downloaded but failed to install.

zinnie 09:00 20 Aug 2006

Thanks gudgulf......but I have hit another problem....I can't 'get into' Safe Mode....keying F8 at Start Up gets me straight into 'select boot device' where the only choice is to 'boot' normally.

VoG II 09:02 20 Aug 2006

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment regarder des séries et talk-shows américains en France ?