Windows updates - W7

john bunyan 16:44 12 Jan 2010

Until recently , on XP SP3, I asked to be prompted when updates were available, and occasionally did not install some (eg Silverlight which I dont think I use?)
I have now been on W7 64 bit for a few weeks and updates are on full auto - so far no probs and unless you look you hardly know they have been installed. I think I will leave it on auto, but does anyone disagree?

mooly 16:47 12 Jan 2010

Personally, I like to just be notified and for it not to download or install. Like to see what I am installing and when :)

Fingees 21:01 12 Jan 2010

I leave it on auto.

Been OK so far.

It sets a restore point prior to updating, so you can always roll back if there is a problem.

birdface 22:19 12 Jan 2010

I like to just be notified and for it not to download or install.Ditto.
Just occasionally they download the wrong drivers etc and you have a hard job finding out what the problem is.

rdave13 22:21 12 Jan 2010

Same as above, incase it will auto reboot when not expected.

john bunyan 23:37 12 Jan 2010

Thanks for replies. I just felt that W7 Auto seemed more reliable than XP. I will watch and learn!

The Mountaineer 10:19 13 Jan 2010

John
Just to add my own experience of W7, prior to getting a new laptop with W7 in November I had been happy to allow updates to download and install automatically. Then, when my new machine started via defaults to operate the same way I started to get freezes and crashes that were traceable to the updates. Sometimes the update had (partially?) failed or it was a driver issue. I discovered this by uninstalling the lot I was initially deluged with and installing them one at a time. Since then, and there aren't many, I look at the suggested updates and install them singly.

The Mountaineer 10:47 13 Jan 2010

It's now 30 mins after my last posting and .... guess what?
I'm currently on my Netbook as my laptop has frozen after downloading 2 important and one optional update.
I'll probably be an hour or so sorting the bloody thing!

john bunyan 12:04 13 Jan 2010

Thanks. In view of what has been said I'll set it to inform me before updating. JB

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

Microsoft Surface Book 2 hands-on review – bigger and 5x faster

Best kids apps for iPhone & iPad

Que faire si son iPhone ou iPad est tombé dans de l'eau ?