Windows Updates - How Can I Contol them?

royp 07:41 05 Jan 2008

I used to receive regular notifications of Windows "security" updates. When the notification icon was clicked on I was given a list of files and could select those I wished to download.
Recently, the file list is no longer given and clicking on the icon starts the download with no indication of what is coming. A couple of days ago, it started to download IE 7 (I run IE6 as IE 7 b**ers up my scanner and a couple of other items)which I discovered only by cancelling the download. What is going on? Can I set preferences somewhere to get back in control?
Any help would be appreciated as I am desperate not to have Microsoft dictating my setup!!!!

tullie 07:56 05 Jan 2008

Control Panel/Windows Updates

brundle 08:01 05 Jan 2008

Not the solution but you can block IE7 installation until you decide to allow it with this; click here

Andsome 09:10 05 Jan 2008

When you get the message that updates are available, DO NOT CLICK ON THE ICON. Go to Start/Windows update, and select to customise the updates. If there are any that you positively will not want you can select NOT to show those again in future.

Stuartli 10:46 05 Jan 2008

It's done from the Security Center (in the configuration select Notify me when Updates are available but do not install them).

Click on the yellow updates icon when it appears and choose Customise. Details can be read about each update and you decide if you wish to install them or not.

Afterwards put a check in the Don't Inform Me Again of unwanted updates panel.

birdface 11:18 05 Jan 2008

Or cancel automatic updates.And run it manually.

royp 17:19 05 Jan 2008

Many thanks for the responses folks.
I feel a bit happier now I can halt, when I want, the ever onward march of Microsoft!

Stuartli 17:49 05 Jan 2008

That is precisely the purpose of my suggestion - it's not Automatic...:-)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone