Windows Updates - Do I NEEEED these though??

AngeTheHippy 09:03 07 Sep 2009

Morning Chaps,

In my sys tray I have that annoying little icon telling me I have updates to install. The last 3 on the list (have installed the others) there are:

Microsoft Office Compatibility Pack Service Pack 2 (SP2)

Office Genuine Advantage Notifications (KB949810)

and

PowerPoint Viewer 2007 Service Pack 2 (SP2)

Thing is, I don't USE Microsoft Office ... I use Open Offie. There was a trial version preloaded when I got this Lappy back in Feb, but deleted it as I knew I wasn't going to use it. There was also the nasty little trimmed down version, Microsoft Works which I've left installed even though I don't use it.

So - should I ignore these updates please? Surely I don't need them? What about MS Works? Should I leave it alone??

thanks

AngeTheHippy
xx

Terry Brown 10:22 07 Sep 2009

Ifb you do not want to install these updates, unclick them, you will be given an option, do not remind me again, click that - Solved.

WGA-- The only reason not to install it is a 'dodgy' install.

Terry

AngeTheHippy 11:06 07 Sep 2009

No! Unfortunately, there ISN'T a choice to 'do not remind me again'! I untick the 3 I don't want, and there they are again next time I open the sys tray icon!

A

Stuartli 11:10 07 Sep 2009

You have to do it via Notify Me of Updates But Don't Install Them>Customise (Enable this feature from Security Center>Windows Updates).

Once you have selected required downloads and rejected those not wanted, you will get a panel up after OKing stating Don't Notify Me Again (of unwanted downloads). Tick the box.

AngeTheHippy 11:20 07 Sep 2009

I opened security centre in control panel, and I've ticked the choice 'download updates but let me chose whether to download and install them' I OK that and then when I click on the sys tray icon THERE THEY ARE AGAIN!!! ALL 3 TICKED!!! Getting on my nerves now.... 8-(

A
xx

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?