Windows Updates

bluto1 19:30 12 Aug 2008

I may be reading this the wrong way but I cannot help feeling that Microsoft are now demanding that I use Automatic Updates.

The site cannot continue because one or more of these Windows services is not running:

Automatic Updates (allows the site to find, download and install high-priority updates for your computer)
Background Intelligent Transfer Service (BITS) (helps updates download more quickly and without problems if the download process is interrupted)
Event Log (keeps a record of updating activities to help with troubleshooting, if needed)
To make sure these services are running:
1. Click Start, and then click Run.
2. Type services.msc and then click OK.
3. In the list of services, double-click on Automatic Updates and then click Properties.
4. In the Startup type list, select Automatic and click Apply.
5. Verify that the Service status is started, if the Service Status is Stopped click on the Start Button.
6. In the list of services, double-click on Background Intelligent Transfer Service (BITS) and then click Properties.
7. In the Startup type list, select Manual and click Apply.
8. Verify that the Service status is started, If the Service Status is Stopped click on the Start Button.
9. In the list of services, double-click on Event Log and then click Properties.
10. In the Startup type list, select Automatic and click Apply.
11. Verify that the Service status is started, If the Service Status is Stopped click on the Start Button.

That's what was in the area where we look for Express and Custom downloads.
Has anyone else had this message.

cocteau48 20:15 12 Aug 2008

8 downloads for here and all downloaded and installed "manually" without a hitch (or any other message).

sunny staines 20:33 12 Aug 2008

vista installed updates ok.

XP had a problem re works update needing cd I put new thread on this issue. otherwise all ok here.

birdface 21:03 12 Aug 2008

XP and all 10 installed manually.

Halmer 21:06 12 Aug 2008

14 for my XP PC and not a sausage for my Vista laptop.

wis 21:09 12 Aug 2008

12 for xp all installed ok

bluto1 21:10 12 Aug 2008

Looks like it's resolved, and no one answered the question. Probably didn't even read it.

certain services still need to be running for manual updates
see
click here

Halmer 21:24 12 Aug 2008

I read it but no didn't get the message and I think I have the last service disabled.

bluto1 22:21 12 Aug 2008

Thanks Halmer no probs.
*Raven*, I'll have a look and hope it helps.

Halmer 09:10 13 Aug 2008

but 17 automatically this morning.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: University of the West of England (UWE)

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Les meilleures GoPro 2017