Windows Updates

snowy30 23:20 11 Apr 2008

After downloading some Windows Updates the other day, a friend of mine had trouble with her computer, a Dell Desktop, which is fairly new. As you know, a fairly new computer means Windows Vista.

She says: "There were eight updates, but only three of them were successful, the other five shut me down and had to spend all day yesterday (Thurs)on the phone to dell and windows trying to get my computer running again, apparently one of them updates was corrupted. They came through downloaded but at the point of installing they shut the machine down and couldnt get back into it, so had to contact dell and they took over the machine and then norton had to as well". She also says: "dell came back and said that they researched each one and one of them was corrupt".

Did anyone else have trouble updating?

brundle 01:06 12 Apr 2008

Were any of them related to Vista Service Pack 1? Too vague to come to any meaningful conclusions.

jakimo 01:47 12 Apr 2008

There have been reports that there are some abnormalities with Vista SP1 if it is manually downloaded,...if set to auto download and there is hardware\software on the HD not compatible with SP1 then it will not download,....whereas a manual download will install even if there are incompatibilities in your system,which is said to result in some software not functioning.

jakimo 14:50 13 Apr 2008

I should have mentioned that since re-installing Vista,I set Windows Update to "automatic",...and although it states SP1 is an important download it don`t download, so I assume its recognising something incompatible on my system

snowy30 23:49 13 Apr 2008

She did say something about the problem lays in the Vista SP1 pack after the download. She's got it up and running now.

I have another friend who still uses XP SP2, her downloads were successful, though when it came to rebooting the system it was stuck on boot. Any theorys on this? I also use XP SP2 but I haven't had a problem.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

InVision Studio takes on Adobe XD and Sketch

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?