WINDOWS UPDATES

5starred 12:06 15 Jun 2007

When I get the automatic updates from windows my sound seems to disappear. I was just wondering if anyone was having the same trouble?

Also how critical are these updates as doing a system restore everytime I have an update is taking too long.

Andsome 12:12 15 Jun 2007

Windows updates should not cause this sort of problem. There must be something else wrong with the computer. I have every update issued.

muddypaws 12:34 15 Jun 2007

5starred.
Can't you change it so that MS only tells you when updates are ready? You can then choose which, if any, you want.

Stuartli 12:45 15 Jun 2007

What muddypaws presumably means is to configure, from Security Center, for you to be Botified about updates but not to download them.

By clicking on the Taskbar icon when it appears, you can then select Customise and weigh up each update's value to you.

Select those you require and then OK. You should get a panel up asking if you wish to be informed again about the unwanted updates. Click No.

The updates will then be downloaded and installed.

Stuartli 12:46 15 Jun 2007

I don't understand your reasons either for having to undertake a System restore - it should be very straightforward.

5starred 11:37 16 Jun 2007

Stuartli:

The reason that I am having to resore is that when the updates take place I lose all my sound which is very frustrating. So the only way I have found that I can get my sound back is be doing a restore.

brundle 12:10 16 Jun 2007

There was an update that broke Realtek sound drivers a while back, perhaps that is the problem;

click here

birdface 19:44 16 Jun 2007

Go to device Manager and roll back your sound driver,If it starts working ,Stop Microsoft from downloading any future up-dates for audio drivers.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: University of the West of England (UWE)

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Les meilleures GoPro 2017