is windows update working for you

? or is it me ?

georgemac 15:43 29 Sep 2004

apparently it does not work now unless you have automatic updates enabled!

so it is not just you - not working for many others.

thanks, where do i enable them please

Satmansq 17:00 29 Sep 2004

Click 'Start'then 'Control Panel' and double click on 'Security Centre'

'Automatic Updates' button is towards the bottom of this page. Clicking there will provide you with various options on how to use Windows Update.

colberly 18:25 29 Sep 2004

Just tried and it's working fine for me and I don't have automatic update enabled.

Benzo 18:27 29 Sep 2004

mine works, but i had to use internet explorer to get to it, i usually use mozilla firefox for browsing, in fact i am right now!!!

Benzo F.

hugh-265156 18:34 29 Sep 2004

CHILLZ what version of windows do you have? are you using xp with service pack 1 or 2?

if its with xp and you have service pack 2 and you tried to check windows update manually then the first time you do this active x will be blocked when you visit the ms update v5 site, click the yellow banner under the address bar and choose install. windows update should now load up. you may need to do this again if you run cleanup or similar tools regularly.

cruz 09:42 13 Oct 2004

I tried the manual update after installing SP2 & got a message about active X. Now it hangs at "checking for latest update software". I don't have the yellow banner under the adress bar so where now?

jbaker65 11:04 13 Oct 2004

nothing works for me. I'm 76

ventanas 11:26 13 Oct 2004

Working ok here. Auto disabled, just connected from the Start menu. One IE update KB834707.

rawprawn 11:28 13 Oct 2004

I have XP SP 2, using automatic updates. It downloaded new updates itself this morning no problem.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?