Windows Update query

Chas49 18:11 09 Dec 2009

I am about to install Windows 7 Update over Vista Home Premium. As the computer now contains many programs downloaded at various times I intend to re install Vista first so that I am starting with a clean install. The reinstall will be made from the hidden folder on the computer.

Can anyone tell me if, when I am installing Vista, will I need to enter a code to activate it again? The original installation was made from the hidden folder and, for the life of me, I can’t remember entering one. I do remember being advised (by HP) to make recovery disks.

Chas49 20:38 09 Dec 2009

I have run the program Belarc and a software code is listed for Vista. As Vista was loaded on to the hidden partition I think that entering this code may not be necessary at all, but, if it is then hopefully the code I have found will be correct.

Chas49 20:42 09 Dec 2009

Just out of curiosity I wonder if anyone can remember the name of a small program especially written to extract the siftware licence numbers - I did have one that I downloaded some time ago but, as alwaysm my aging brain has loosed me down - I would have liked to check against Belarc - before I went ahead with the reinstall.

GaT7 20:45 09 Dec 2009

Take your pick click here. Only some work with Vista though. G

chub_tor 22:22 09 Dec 2009

Are you quite sure that the PC does not have a label on it (usually underneath on a laptop and on the back for a desktop) with the Microsoft code on it?

Chas49 16:38 13 Dec 2009

My apologies for not reponding earlier. Your replies appreciated.

I went ahead as I said. Reinstalling Vista Home from the hidden partition - no problems.

Attempting to install Win 7 the installation stopped with a box asking for Cista SP1 pack to be installed first. This done, no further problems installing it.

Re-installing my programs required the getting of new drivers and Win 7 helped with that. One of my programs (Codemasters TOCA 3) wouldn't insall and Codemasters informed me that "Toca 3 doesn't work with Win 7" - such a pity.

I ran Belarc Adviser when I had finished and was a little surprised when it reported the OS as
Windows Vista Home Edition (build 7600) - I say surprised for I was expecting it to say Windows 7!

So far I am impressed with the new OS.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment regarder des séries et talk-shows américains en France ?