Windows update problems

Muergo 16:39 10 Mar 2011

Has anybody else had trouble with this weeks updates?

First they would not instal and stuck unresponding for over an hour showing it was still installing before I closed it down.
Then on rebooting it automatically said it was configuring updates and "Don't turn off computer" on the welcome W7 screen and stuck again not booting up for over an hour again.

Getting fed up I tried turning off but no response, so eventually had to pull plug on it.

Restarted perfectly normally this time and reloaded all Firefox windows/tabs with no remarks about updates.

Update history now shows they are all in "successfully".

961 16:47 10 Mar 2011

If the update history shows they are all successfull then you're probably ok

However, if you wish an independent check, I can recommend (free)

click here

which will scan your computer and show not only any Microsoft updates you need which have not been installed but also any other outdated or insecure programmes on your computer

Muergo 16:51 10 Mar 2011

Thanks, I do have Secunia installed, I forgot about it, will run a scan, last time I was 100% but it's a new computer so hasn't had time for me to bugger it up yet!

961 16:54 10 Mar 2011

there goeth us all!

Muergo 17:01 10 Mar 2011

Secunia has dropped me down to 90% and says it's Windows7 updates NOT installed, so now what happens? as I said, History says all installed successfully.

I read on "Windows Secrets that their MVP Susan Bradley said she was holding off installing the latest update so I'll see what she says by and by.

Muergo 17:10 10 Mar 2011

Here it is as in Windows SEcrets as of yesterday

PATCH WATCH

Patch Watch adds problem-patch update chart

Susan Bradley By Susan Bradley

March's Patch Tuesday proved light on fixing vulnerabilities. That could be either good news or bad.

It does give us time to review past patches that gave some of us headaches — and others that need further testing. You'll find a new summary chart at the bottom of this column.

MS11-015 (2510030, 2479943, 2502898)
Media player needs critical update

There's only one patch I urge you to install soon: MS11-015, an update for DirectShow/Windows Media Player that fixes library-file vulnerabilities. Eight months ago, Microsoft released security advisory KB2269637, which revealed potentially dangerous DLL-preloading vulnerabilities. (Users could be tricked into opening malicious folders, websites, and media files that would then infect their machines.) Months later, we're still patching .dll problems.

This is a critical fix for XP, Vista, and Windows 7 systems.

It also affects the Windows Media Center TV Pack for Windows Vista (a special OEM version released as an optional component). If you see two updates, install both; Microsoft recommends installing KB 2479943 before KB 2494132.

? What to do: Put MS11-015 (KB 2510030, KB 2479943, and KB 2502898) on your installation fast track.

End of reprint

961 19:08 10 Mar 2011

I've found Secunia a most useful program providing a simple one stop shop for what needs fixing in the security of my computer

Used it for years because there's hardly a week goes by but Adobe or Flash need to update, quite apart from the sort of trouble you've just had

One solution would be to ditch media player for the time being unless you've a load of files you want to keep

Alternatively, can you use the Microsoft site to go to the KB fix file and download these patches separately?

One other thing. New computer. Is Windows Genuine fiff faff recognising your copy of Windows as genuine?

Muergo 19:19 10 Mar 2011

That did it, using the link above I fixed the Media player update and Secunia put me back on 100%

961 19:29 10 Mar 2011

Just shows, can't be too careful with this stuff

How easy to assume it's all ok

grizzley 22:34 22 Mar 2011

I installed service pack 1 for windows 7.

On restart disk check started, when it finished and restarted, my computer stopped starng up, and froze. I forcibly restarting up, had to force restart and use f8 and last known good install, i then used startup repair. I installed windows 7 over vista home basic. have used windows 7 for a week, now after installing service pack 1 for windows 7 have start-up problems. Anyone else having this problem, and know of a fix.

Furkin 08:57 23 Mar 2011

I also changed Vista to W7 on my lappy.
I also updated XP to W7 on the desktop.

I downloaded SP1 to the desktop o.k,,,, but
I can't download SP1 to the lappy. It downloads all other updates etc.
Tried ‘SYSTEM UPDATE READINESS TOOL’ - to no avail.

I'll watch this thread with interest.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?