Windows update problem

Graham John 11:35 19 Dec 2008

Have Vista with SP1 and IE7 on a Dell laptop. When I run Windows update I quickly get the message 'Windows could not search for new updates, Error found code 80070490' No new upadtes have been installed since beginning of this month. I have had an occasional problem installing some updates in the past few months. Any help appreciated.

rawprawn 11:41 19 Dec 2008

What worked for me was to run CHKDSK from the command prompt. Make sure
that you run it as an administrator or it wont run

Worth a try

crosstrainer 11:45 19 Dec 2008

Try this:

click here

Graham John 12:21 19 Dec 2008

Hi, thanks for help, tried your suggestion crosstrainer, no luck. How do I get cmd to run as administrator rawprawn, don't have priveleges. On C:\Users\Graham

Graham John 13:28 19 Dec 2008

Ooops sorry, rawprawn, worked it out now.

Graham John 19:10 20 Dec 2008

Unfortunately none of the suggestions have worked, any more ideas

Sea Urchin 23:30 20 Dec 2008

One suggestion that has worked for others with this problem is to perform a system restore back to a date before the last successful update

rdave13 23:42 20 Dec 2008

Temporary help until you get Windows update to work is install Belarc Advisor, will show what security updates are needed and use the info to paste in to Microsoft download center. click here

Make sure you use the search facility to the right of 'Download Center Home' on the right and not the search box above.

Graham John 09:32 22 Dec 2008

Thanks sea urchin, restored back to before last successful update but problem remains exactly as before. Thanks rdave13, tried yours too, downloading to desktop and tried to manually install updates but get message that 'incorrect update for this system'! Have had a problem for sometime not being able to install some updates which microsoft has been unable to solve. Most updates have been fine which is very strange. They decided I should re-install windows which i have refused till now but i think this latest hiccup is too big to ignore, especially with the recent IE7 security flaw. Cheers to you all. Will post again if reinstall cures problem for others to read.

birdface 11:44 22 Dec 2008

Have you tried updating them manually.One at a time.

Graham John 21:10 22 Dec 2008

Hi Buteman, yes I have tried. Downloaded to desktop then run from there using update standalone manager but get the message 'the update does not apply to this system'. Thanks anyway. Also cannot find a resolution on the net despite a few people with the sam/similar problem(s).

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?