I have been helping a neighbour get his computer running after a crash. Prior to the crash he was running Windows XP SP2, with all the latest updates obtained via Windows Update. After the crash he lost SP2 and all the updates, with Windows reverting to the default SP1. I successfully reinstalled SP2 for him using an old PC Advisor disc which I'd kept. I then went on to the Microsoft Windows Update site in an attempt to reinstall all the missing post-SP2 security updates.
A message appeared indicating that a check was being made to see if the computer had the latest version of Windows updating software, but that’s as far as it got. Nothing happened, the message just stayed there for several minutes – no error message –nothing.
I went to Control Panel and chose Automatic Updates which showed amber and a message that Auto. Updates was not configured for that computer and advised to click “Turn on Automatic Updates”. I did this but got a message “We’re sorry the Security Centre could not change your Automatic Updates settings”. It advised doing this manually by going to Control Panel, selecting System, Automatic Updates, and checking “Automatic”.
I did this but nothing has changed – the Microsoft Automatic Update site still freezes as described above.
He runs the full version of AVG anti-virus with firewall, anti-spam etc all working properly and showing no viruses. Could anybody suggest a solution to his problem please?
It will automatically make any corrections needed in the Registry, which in turn may well sort out this and any other problems it finds. It is an excellent program used by myself and very many other Forum members on a regular basis.
I tried these two suggestions and I also tried renaming the edb.log file and renaming the catroot2 file but I'm afraid that nothing works.
The SP2 disc was issued in Nov. 2004 and it would be a mammoth task to mannually istall individually, all the updates issued since then - and this assumes they are still available and I don't have to go through the Windows Update site to get them.
Thanks moorie-, I checked that all the services mentioned in your suggested fix were running, but still no joy.
brundle-, I downloaded Dial-a-fix-v0.60.0.24 and ran the component which re-registered all the relevant .dll files. I then went onto the Windows Update site and it worked!!! I then downloaded and installed the 77 updates needed to bring Windows XP up to scratch.
Many thanks from myself and my neighbour for all assistance given.
This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.