Windows Update problem.

cocteau48 12:02 15 Feb 2007

A couple of days ago I noticed the normal yellow shield on the task bar indicating that windows was downloading an update.(I have automatic updates enabled by the way) Hovering the cursor over the shield indicated that it was 5% complete. It then disappeared and I must admit I forgot about it.
Yesterday I appeared again and again disappeared,this time showing 20% completion.
At no time did I get the normal message about a download being complete and when did I want to install it.
Having seen the thread on this forum about a large number of updates being available I just logged onto the Microsoft site and downloaded them manually.
Anyone got any ideas as to why the automatic download failed to complete on two separate attempts? Logjam possibly-and it would have completed eventually?
(XP/SP2/Zonealarm/AVG Antivirus)

johndrew 12:09 15 Feb 2007

I have had similar experiences with automatic downloads and now go to the site to download an install manually.

The problem, I think, is one of priority. Automatic download seems to operate on the current usage of your PC and what you want to download/read/etc. and, perhaps, the Microsoft site loading. So if you simply rely on the automatic system you may well find that downloading is much slower.

I`m certain those with more technical knowledge will correct this if it`s wrong??

birdface 12:09 15 Feb 2007

Try switching it off, Then the next time you restart the computer switch it back on again ,see if that helps.At least when you download them manually you can see what is getting downloaded.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment regarder des séries et talk-shows américains en France ?