Windows update problem

Sidetrax 19:11 01 Jan 2006

Hey, when I try and go onto windows update thie error comes up
Error number: 0x8007041D
And it says

The website has encountered a problem and cannot display the page you are trying to view

Help?

VoG II 19:20 01 Jan 2006

Try this click here

Sidetrax 19:34 01 Jan 2006

Ive tried that just now, and still doesn't work =-/

Slithe 20:52 01 Jan 2006

Are you running a separate firewall i.e. such as Norton Personal Firewall?

I find that if I switch off the firewall to install the updates, then I get into the site.

Also, are you using Internet Explorer or another browser? If you are, try using IE to see if it solves the problem.

If not, try the firewall trick. Remember to turn it back on afterwards and ONLY vist the update site with it off!

ade.h 20:59 01 Jan 2006

Most firewalls should not cause particular sites to be blocked without your permission. Norton products however, can be special cases, let's say...

Is your hyperlink taking you to the correct URL? This is worth checking. It should be http: // update. microsoft. com/windowsupdate/v6/default.aspx?ln=en-us

Spaces inserted to avoid a link.

Sidetrax 22:04 01 Jan 2006

Im using Nvidia Firewall, and I've tried turning it off, but it still doesn't work.

Sidetrax 22:07 01 Jan 2006

and when i put that link into my addressbar, it says i need IE 5 or better, when Im using IE 6.
And I've tried to download the latest version of IE but it wont let me since, I've already got the latest version

Slithe 22:20 01 Jan 2006

ade.h - very diplomatic about Norton. Sorry that my suggestion didn't help Sidetrax, I run Norton Firewall, I've got half of the subscription left and won't bother renewing it, and switching it off works for me on this one.

New idea, does the website block any pop-ups? The clue is either the infamous XP Balloon Sound, or and I don't mean to patronise, a status strip below the address bar informing you of a blocked pop-up?

Another thing, do you need to install any ActiveX components to run the site? Sometimes that may be the cause of the problem, however, like the pop-up scenario, the status strip is a give-away.

Last thing from me, I am arrogantly assuming you are using XP SP2, if not then what I've said above (apart from Norton) and am about to say is rubbish. This bit may apply to Win 2000 or NT 4.0 - are you logged on as an Administrator or just a power user? Sometimes, I know this from NT, you need to have certain privledges to do certain things - this may be one of them and your access is being blocked.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best Black Friday Deals 2017

Black Friday Deals for Designers & Artists: Adobe, Apple, Corel Painter, Microsoft Surface, Wacom &e…

Best Black Friday Apple Deals 2017

Black Friday 2017 : date, sites participants & bonnes affaires