Windows Update Problem

Gorillaz 16:58 01 Aug 2005

I have formatted my hard drive and have reinstalled windows XP ,service pack 2 and office 2003 + NAV and Norton Firewall. I am trying to acess the windows update site but ahve the follwoing problem. I get thefollowing error message. Files required to use Microsoft Update are no longer registered or installed on your computer. To continue: Register or reinstall the files for me now (Recommended. When I click on the continue button I get a progress report saying Download and install the latest updating software. I then get a message that is on screen for a second, there not enough time to cut and paste. From what I can see it mentions active x controls. I have got explorer set to accept axtive X controls. I did not have this problem when I updated office.

Graham ® 17:54 01 Aug 2005

Run the File Checker - Run, 'sfc /scannow'

Happy Soul 17:58 01 Aug 2005

Try this click here

Gorillaz 18:05 01 Aug 2005

Graham I clicked start - run entered sfc/scannow (no spaces) clicked OK and got the error message Windows cannot find sfc/scannow.

Gorillaz 18:07 01 Aug 2005

Happy Soul, sorry but although it looks fantastic I would not even know where to start with this site. Although I use a PC everyday I am really a novce, this is why I use this forum such a lot.

VoG II 18:07 01 Aug 2005

Space before the /

sfc /scannow

PC Bilbo 18:08 01 Aug 2005

Did you Validate Windows first?

Just freshly installed XP Home SP2 on 2 PCs + Norton
Internet Security 2005 no problems.Best way is to set up Automatic Updates from within "Windows Security"

If you do it manually and use Express Installer, the Active X you mention is a new tool bar MS has come up with which you need to react to (not the same as the one in I.E.)If you don't have it follow the instructions as they come up and download.

Gorillaz 18:54 01 Aug 2005

I have been trawling though the MS webiste and have found this click here;en-us;836973 not sure if this is relevent to my problem can anyone advise?

Gorillaz 18:56 01 Aug 2005

this is the correct url click here;en-us;836973

VoG II 18:57 01 Aug 2005

"I then get a message that is on screen for a second, there not enough time to cut and paste. From what I can see it mentions active x controls. "

When you get this click on the thin yellow band that will appear just beneath the toolbars.

I don't think click here is relevant.

Gorillaz 18:57 01 Aug 2005

Sorry for some when i paste the it misses the last part as you can see.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

Add Depth Of Field to a photo using Tilt Shift Blur in Photoshop

iPhone tips & tricks

Comment afficher des fichiers cachés sur Mac ?