Windows Update not working, what do I do?

ITBuffoon 14:02 27 Dec 2014

My father can't download any Windows Updates.

He's using Windows Vista Home Basic. Internet connection is OK.

A few weeks back I rolled back the PC to sometime in the summer (to a restore point), and the problem seems to have appeared because of that.

There's no error message...windows update just doesn't run (sometimes you see the egg-timer, sometimes not), although when I start task manager it shows Windows Update as running...running Windows in safe mode doesn't help - I have the same problem.

Obviously I want him to be able to download the updates, and he isn't able to install a new printer successfully either.

I'm hoping a re-install of Windows isn't required.....any thoughts?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 15:18 27 Dec 2014

search - type services.msc - press enter

check Background Intelligent Service is set to automatic and started.

Or if you can download try this Fixit tool which will complelety reinstall the update components

ITBuffoon 19:12 27 Dec 2014

Thanks guys.

I undid the system restore that I did in November. The Windows Update problem remains - I can't even get to the screen which shows the latest updates I need to install.

Out of interest, Windows still is updating the Security Essentials - it's the update service that isn't running.

I tried installing the Windows Update Standalone Installer, but got a "Server Execution Failed" message.

I tried the Vista Windows Update "Fixit" tool but it didn't run, giving a message "The troubleshooter is temporarily available".

The Background Intelligent Service is running.

Any more ideas gratefully received....

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?