Windows Update - not installing downloads

PC Usah 15:01 18 May 2008

Upon Windows Update downloading this month's Malicious Software Removal Tool, it is failing to install.
Two weeks ago, I upgraded XP Home Edition to XP Professional and due to the way it didn't copy a lot of SP2 files, I also updated that by downloading SP3 pack. Everything settled down okay.
Due to Grisoft due to withdraw update support for AVG 7.5 Free Edition soon, I decided to upgrade that to AVG 8.0 Free Edition. After a few 'teething problems', I believe this also has now settled down. Did a thorough scan, followed by allowng Windows Defender do its scan. It failed to download any updates, therefore realising the upgraded AVG now had anti-spyware, uninstalled Windows Defender.
Two days ago, Windows Update carried out half of it usual operation, as described at the start. I now have an update that refuses to install and no way of deleting it - basically stuck in a sort of loop. I get no error messages that any part of the system is unhappy with trying to carry this out. Any ideas?

cocteau48 16:36 18 May 2008

I posted this when you raised this query on another thread - perhaps you missed it.
Try Dial-a Fix
click here

I had the same problem as yourself (XP Home not Professional) and since running Dial-a-Fix the Windows Defender update has installed without a hitch. As I had already installed the Malicious Software Removal Tool manually I could not check if it had fixed that as well but I am hoping so - next month will tell.
By the way I believe that AVG will continue to support the 7.5 version till the end of the year.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?