Windows Update killed my mobile broadband

Cassano99 15:57 01 Jul 2009

Can anyone please help?
I bought a Vodafone mobile broadband dongle and was happily going about my business with this on pay as you go.
One day I chose to download some Windows Updates, nine of them I believe including Windows Live and Internet Explorer 8.
After the downloading process I was asked to restart my computer but I hadn't closed down my broadband connection when I did this.
At this point my Windows Vista Business computer failed to restart and relaunched in safe mode.
It then wouldn't start up again properly, also taking me back to safe mode.
I figured it was the mobile broadband dongle that might be giving my Acer Aspire M1640 a problem so I removed it and sure enough the computer works fine.
I still have access to internet through a dial-up modem but every time I've put the broadband dongle in again it's failed to find an internet connection and caused the same problems with shutting down and starting up.
I've uninstalled the Vodafone programs and the assoicated drivers but haven't tried installing them again.
Should I do this or is there some other problem?
Also wondering about the Isatap adapter issue I have regarding Code 31?

mgmcc 19:25 01 Jul 2009

Have you tried uninstalling the Windows Updates? Not all updates are beneficial and some can break existing functionality.

peter99co 19:38 01 Jul 2009

Check the phone number and the mobile broadband is dialing. My dongle lost it and once I had reset it to dial the correct number it was ok

For Vodaphone this should be
Device Type: 3G (Note: This can also be set to GPRS, depending on available signal strength)
Account: web
Password: web
Phone Number: *99#

Hope this helps

Sea Urchin 22:50 01 Jul 2009

It would be helpful if you close down the duplicate thread you have running on the Windows Vista Forum

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment regarder des séries et talk-shows américains en France ?