Windows Update KB951550

si67 20:10 12 Nov 2008

Hi all

installed latest batch of MS updates but KB951550 will not install. KB951550 seems to relate to MS Office 2007.

Have rebooted many times and tried again with no luck.

Each time I get error Code 57A. Running a search on the Microsoft site returns nothing for this.

Running Vista Home Premium, 3GB Ram, Microsoft Office 2007 Student Edition (Genuine copy).

Anyone thoughts on this or experienced the same problem?

Si67

chub_tor 22:20 12 Nov 2008

No thoughts sorry, but I have installed it successfully today on two different machines.

chub_tor 22:25 12 Nov 2008

You could try downloading it from click here if you haven't already done so.

si67 09:30 13 Nov 2008

Thanks chub_tor I didnt consider downloading it directly from microsoft. I've only tried it through the Automatic Updates.

I'll try the direct download and see how it goes.

Thanks again.

Si67

si67 17:32 13 Nov 2008

Hi all

downloaded the update direct from MS. Installer runs to about 50% then error message shows that installer has stopped working, and shows not responding. Vista eventually closes it.

Checked Event Viewer/Administrative Events the following is shown:

Product: Microsoft Office Home and Student 2007 -- Error 1402.Setup cannot open the registry key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Classes\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\HTMLHelp\2.0\LocalReg\HxDs.HxRegister.1\CLSID. Verify that you have sufficient permissions to access the registry or contact Microsoft Product Support Services (PSS) for assistance. For information about how to contact PSS, seePSS10R.CHM.

I'm running Vista as Adimistrator. I also right clicked exe file and selected 'Run As Administrator'.

Anyone any further thoughts???

Si67

chub_tor 19:00 13 Nov 2008

Error 1402 click here this one applies to Office 2000 but the principle will be the same.

YasharF 21:09 23 Nov 2008

Here are what I found and how I fixed the problem:

--- Used the build in office diagnostic (any office application -> Help -> Office Diagnostic. It did not find a problem.
--- Tried Add Remove Programs in the Control Panel for Repair. The installer was not even able to launch.
--- Tried to do reinstall using the Office CD, but the setup would not launch neither.
--- Opened the command prompt (CMD) and went to the office CD location and tried to launch office repair by "setup /repair <office product id>", and realized that I need the office product id from my installation. The id is stored under a folder in the CD that ends with ".ww" in a file named config.xml. For example, it could be something like: ProPlus, Enterprise, PrjPro, VisPro. After figuring this out, tried the repair using "setup /repair <id>", which launched the repair stuff. It went through about half way and failed.
--- Used Windows Install Clean Up from MS (click here) and removed all pieces of the Office installation references (there were more than 10 different ones, about one or two per office application).
--- Tried to do reinstall using the Office CD, and it worked. Just installed over the old office files with the options that I had done the original installation.
--- Went to the Windows Updates website and got Office 2007 SP1.
--- Went to the Windows Updates website and got all of the other Office 2007 updates including kb951550.

Now it is all Fixed :)

si67 08:30 24 Nov 2008

Interesting YasharF. Thanks for that. I'll try this tonight and report back.

Si67

si67 17:55 24 Nov 2008

Hi all (and YasharF)

put my Office 2007 CD in the drive and the options shown were to:

Add New Features
Repair
Uninstall

Chose the Repair option and it got about 3 quarters of the way through and the message shown was:

Product: Microsoft Office Home and Student 2007 -- Error 1402.Setup cannot open the registry key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Classes\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\HTMLHelp\2.0\LocalReg\HxDs.HxRegister.1\CLSID. Verify that you have sufficient permissions to access the registry or contact Microsoft Product Support Services (PSS) for assistance. For information about how to contact PSS, seePSS10R.CHM.

Proving very pesky this update.

Gonna try uninstalling Offoce 2007 completely, do a full clean up, a full Registry clean up, then a full install.

Fingers crossed.

Si67

si67 11:10 25 Nov 2008

Hi all

I've realised that I'm entitled to free MS Support.

I've contacted them with all the info from this thread, and received a Support Incident Number. Their email promises a response in 24 hours.

It remains to be seen hw good their response is. But I thought I'd try MS before an uninstall, then clean install.

I'll update when I have MS reply.

Si67

si67 20:42 25 Nov 2008

Ok reply from MS is:

Thank you for contacting Microsoft Office Online Support Service. My name is Mohan; I will be helping you with this service request: 1085766911

After reviewing the case log, I understand that you are not able to install the Office Security Update: KB951550. You have tried various steps including repair of Office 2007 but the issue has not been resolved.

If I misunderstood the issue, don't hesitate to correct me.

Since you have tried all the initial steps that we would try in order to resolve this issue the step that now needs to be tried to be able to install the Office Security Update is to manually un-install Office 2007 and re-install it again on your computer using the Office 2007 disk. These issues with updates not installed could occur due to a corrupted installation of Office or due to a file in the Office installation being corrupted.

Please note: Manually un-installing or complete un-installation of Office is different from un-installation from the Programs and Features menu on your computer. In order to un-install Office 2007 completely you need to follow detailed steps to remove Registry Keys associated with Office 2007 from the Registry Editor on your computer. Removing the Registry Keys from the Registry Editor needs to be carried out with utmost care as even the slightest mistake while deleting keys from the Registry Editor could damage your computer. If you are confident of working with the Registry Editor then follow the steps to manually un-install Office 2007 from the Registry Editor as mentioned in the following Microsoft Resource Article: click here

Once Office 2007 has been completely un-installed, restart your computer and re-install Office Home and Student 2007 from the disk. Check if you are able to install the update: KB951550

In case you are not confident with working in the Registry Editor then please let me know if I may call you to work live on your computer in a Live Meeting Session on your computer. If yes, please mention a 3 hour time frame to call you during weekdays – between 9 am and 4 pm GMT – for me to call you. Also mention the phone number to call.

Please try the above steps and let me know the result.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?