Windows update freezing

LeonV 18:20 27 Jul 2004

When I try to scan for updates for XP on the Windows update site, the computer freezes at 0% and I have to restart every time. I have run full virus checks etc using up-to-date PC-cillin and Ad-aware and am not coming up with any problems. I have also tried disabling Zonealarm for the purposes of the update, but I'm still locking up. I'm not having problems with any other sites. Any ideas please?

Dorsai 18:26 27 Jul 2004

If you are on dial-up, it can be very slow. especially if you have not updated before, and the copy of windows you have is quite old, as it will be finding many updates to install. How long have you given it, before you give up?

LeonV 18:41 27 Jul 2004

I'm on 150 broadband and using XP and it seems to lock up just a few seconds after I press the scan for updates button.

GaT7 18:57 27 Jul 2004

I also have a problem (Win98se) where the Win update site freezes but it's just for a few seconds & then it is OK, so not a problem.

'Windows Update scan for updates stops responding at 0%' - click here - try Methods 3 & 4 (as you probably are not using the NetSonic Internet accelerator).

Also, try turning off your AV+firewall sw while d'loading/installing the updates & see if that helps. Good luck, G

LeonV 07:56 28 Jul 2004

Thanks - disabling the AV as well as Zone Alarm did the trick.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

Add Depth Of Field to a photo using Tilt Shift Blur in Photoshop

iPhone tips & tricks

Comment afficher des fichiers cachés sur Mac ?