Windows Update freezes

arrow 10:41 16 Oct 2003

I use Windows ME with a cable broadband connection, protected by Norton Internet Security 2002 (updated daily plus daily a'v scans) and all Emails are scanned by my ISP using CleanPort MEF Antivirus system. I have 3 problems, which may be related.
1. Windows Update is done weekly as one of my scheduled tasks, but for the past 9 weeks it has frozen at the first screen, whilst looking for appropriate updates.
2. I also subscribe to Microsoft Security Notification Service, which sends alerts by Email, and have received 19 this year (2 yesterday) but when trying to download patches that are applicable to my system I received an error message that "The web site could not be found"
3. After closing my web brouser I frequently receive an error message saying an error has been detected and would I like to report it to Microsoft, which I do. This also has been happening for 9 weeks.
Can somebody please help and advise?

Wes Tam ;-) 11:29 16 Oct 2003

arrow

1. have you run an anti-virus program?

2. did you make any changes 9 weeks ago?

3. have you tried accessing Windows Update via your Start Menu?

4. have you confused any MSNS e-mails with the multitude of malicious notifications that have been circulating in the past couple of months?

5. have you tried a System Restore to prior to the 9 weeks date?

arrow 11:24 17 Oct 2003

Thank you Wes Tam;-) for your response. The answers to your questions are :- 1. yes, daily. 2.no. 3. yes. 4. not to my knowledge. 5. yes, which did not resolve the issue, but it did create another one, which is responsible for my delay in posting this response, and may also be connected to the problem. Having restored the system to 1st Aug.03 and then restarted the PC, I got an error message:- NAV Auto-Protect. Unable to initialize the virus scanning engine database files. OK. Pressing enter causes total freeze which only responds to the reset button, and then restarts in safe mode, out of which I cannot get, until I uninstall Norton internet security, which I have now done. Where do I go from here?

Wes Tam ;-) 12:28 17 Oct 2003

arrow I had exactly the same problem with Norton SystemWorks when I did a system restore.

After weeks of advice from Symantec I got nowhere and so I uninstalled NSW and opted for Outpost Firewall and AVG (both free, both working well, and both trouble free!!).

arrow 18:03 17 Oct 2003

Thanks again Wes Tam;-). Your experience certainly supports my belief that there is a conflict between Norton AV and System restore, but that doesn't solve my problems of Windows Update freezing, Microsoft websites not being found, and Internet explorer developing a fault which it wants me to report to Microsoft nearly every time I close I.E. I would be very pleased to hear from anybody else who has thoughts on these problems.

powerless 18:08 17 Oct 2003
  arrow 20:39 18 Oct 2003

Thank you Powerless. The only problem applicable in Windows Update Troubleshooter refers to Zone Alarm firewall used on Windows 2000 and Windows XP. I have been running Windows ME and Norton Internet Security 2002 for over a year, but this problem only arose 9 weeks ago. Any other ideas please.

the lone cloner 22:58 18 Oct 2003

if iv'e got this right, you may not have uninstalled norton throughly go to the norton site (this may be in your manual) but look for help to remove norton fron your registry. this must be ensured before you reload it.

arrow 23:39 18 Oct 2003

Thank you Lone Cloner. I have resolved the conflict between Norton AV and System Restore by uninstalling Norton AV, but this did not solve the 3 original problems, and Windows Update still freezes immediately it starts to look for suitable updates. More ideas please.

wawadave 00:08 19 Oct 2003

hello
you may want to shut off your fire wall and any thing else runing besides that click ctrl,alt,delete and shut off every thing but your internet conection,sysyem tray,exeplorer. and see if it works now.
and try the things in this link
how to run m.e well verion 5
click here

arrow 16:11 19 Oct 2003

I have now completely uninstalled everything in Norton Internet Security 2002, which has resolved the System Restore conflict, and I have restored to 01 Aug 03 (it wont go back any further), but Windows Update still freezes on initial search. I have now re-installed Norton Internet Security 2002, and done all the necessary updates, and I am now back at square one, with a fully protected computer and a frozen Windows Update. HELP!!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?