Windows update - continue

besuk 09:18 25 Feb 2003

Dear all,
I thought I'd started a new thread as a continuation of my previous one of yesterday.
Well, I went home last night and tried all the different solution kindly suggested by lozzy, leo49, JoeC, spikeychris, powerless and New Zealander ... but to no avail !!!
I have followed the instruction given on the site suggested by spikeychris, but I haven't found any "notepad" key in my registry.
I have also tried what suggested in the Symantec site for the backdoor.asylum trojan, but again I have found out that they didn't strictly apply to my case.
I have tried deleting form my registry anything related to winupd.exe (something that I had already tried before writing here yesterday), then I have re-started my computer in Safe mode and cancelled winupd.exe (yes, in Safe mode it let me cancel it), but as soon as I re-started the PC, the bastard was still there !
It looked more and more like a chess game !
To be honest, I am quite disappointed with Symantec not aving anything about this trojan.
Or is it a trojan ? I have just read the new suggestion from bvw in bristol: I must say that I had a look in the Add/Remove programs in the first place, but I didn't look in the Windows section. I'll try that tonight. It would be laughable if it wasn't a trojan but just a Windows update application !
Anyway, I am also thinking about writing to Symantec about it, just to trigger their imagination a bit.
By the way, for the time being I have decided to keep my PC disconnected from the telephone line: better safe than sorry !
A great thank you to everyone who wrote. If you can think of anything else, please let me know: I will keep watching this space.
Cheers

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: University of the West of England (UWE)

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Les meilleures GoPro 2017