windows update

Mabinogion 00:19 14 Aug 2008

Hello
Do I need to download and install the service pack 3 for XP as I was running the windows update and it came up with the service pack 3 etc so should I intall this? I am using XP service pack 2 at the moment and don't know if I need to install this new update.
Thanks

sunny staines 00:52 14 Aug 2008

yes. temp disable security software during install.

Mabinogion 01:27 14 Aug 2008

Hi
Thanks for your reply I was just going to install this update when the 'Installation wizard' came on and asked me to back up my system etc so is this likely to cause any problems? as I am not very familiar with all this and was wondering if I do this update will the stupid pc start up again !!! or is is a straight forward installation?
Thanks and sorry for being so stupid!!!

sunny staines 05:07 14 Aug 2008

carry on with install should be ok.

john bunyan 09:17 14 Aug 2008

Mabinognio. Reccmend you read other threads - last was XP3 on Absolute Beginners. I had problems with an MCE PC. Also anti virus and firewalls and AMD have been known to produce problems sometimes. I reccomend the following: 1.Create a restore point. Download SP3 to desktop - do not install (you may have to get it via MS developers page). 2. Disconnect from internet then disable Firewall and antivirus.3.Restart in safe mode. Install SP3 from desktop.Restart in normal mode.4 Restore anti virus and firewall.5. Reconnect to internet.
A bit long winded but it may be a better option than the auto install - which works fine for some.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone