Windows Startup Repair - Windows will not load

Dirk Diggler 20:12 13 Dec 2010

Am trying to sort out an MSI U135 Netbook running Win XP

On starting up Windows appears to be loading to the point where you get the green scrolling bar and then the blue desktop background.

Straight after that the Windows Startup Repair program starts to run with the message "Windows is attempting to repair this computer automatically"

After a few minutes of this it then says "Startup Repair cannot repair this computer automatically"

Problem details:-

Problem Event Name: StartupRepairOffline
Problem Signature 01: 0.0.0.0
Problem Signature 02: 6.1.7600.16385
Problem Signature 03: unknown
Problem Signature 04: -1
Problem Signature 05: AutoFailover
Problem Signature 06: 1
Problem Signature 07: NoOSinstalled

OS Version: 6.1.7600.2.0.0.256.1
Locale ID : 1033

Now I am presuming from the number 7 in the list that it is not finding the OS?

I know I can hit F3 on bootup and run the MSI OS Recovery program but that will mean losing all the files on the PC which my friend would really rather not happen

Can anyone suggest why this has suddenly started happening and how it can be fixed without the need to lose all the users data

If there is anything else you need to know that may help please ask

Many thanks

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 20:30 13 Dec 2010

CAn you boot to safemode / last known good configuration by tapping F5 or F8 at switch on?

Failing at the point you mention is usually a driver problem corrupted? (often graphics).

If it won't boot in safemode or lAst Known then a repair install is usually the next option

Repair XP by install over the top of existing system

1. Boot the computer using the XP CD. You may need to change the boot order in the system BIOS so the CD boots before the hard drive. Check your system documentation for steps to access the BIOS and change the boot order.

2. When you see the "Welcome To Setup" screen, you will see This portion of the Setup program prepares Microsoft Windows XP to run on your computer:

To setup Windows XP now, press ENTER.

To repair a Windows XP installation using Recovery Console, press R.

To quit Setup without installing Windows XP, press F3.

3. Press Enter to start the Windows Setup.

To setup Windows XP now and Repair Install , press ENTER.

DO NOT choose "To repair a Windows XP installation using the Recovery Console, press R", (you Do Not want to load Recovery Console).

4. Accept the License Agreement and Windows will search for existing Windows installations.

5. Select the XP installation you want to repair from the list and press R to start the repair.

6. Setup will copy the necessary files to the hard drive and reboot.

Do not press any key to boot from CD when the message appears.

Setup will continue as if it were doing a clean install, but your applications and settings will remain intact.

Repair XP
click here

Dirk Diggler 20:40 13 Dec 2010

I have tried accessing the F5 and F8 and the only option it gives me in Windows 7 !! It looks like the machine came with Windows 7 installed and has had XP installed following purchase

I do not have an XP disc and also the machine is a netbook with no CD/DVD drive (I dont have access to an external one either)

Could it be that the XP that was installed following purchase has become corrupt for some reason?

Given the lack of XP disc and CD/DVD drive, am I right in thinking the only option will be the MSI Recovery Console which I am guessing will take it back to factory settings - ie, Windows 7 installed and all data lost?

Dirk Diggler 20:53 13 Dec 2010

.. pressing F8 does nothing and just continues through to the initial problem

I have just tried to check with my friend about XP and she says she "thinks" it was running XP

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 21:13 13 Dec 2010

These machines came with W7 starter edition, is there a sticker on the bottom? Windows 7 explains why its trying to do a startup repair. Start up repair never existed in XP

Take out the hard drive attach via external usb enclosure or direct to motherboard with SATA cable to another machine and you can retrieve the data.
Access Files
If you get Access Denied in WinXP Pro. Try “taking ownership” of the file/folder before it can be accessed. First of all go to Folder Options, View Tab and in the Advanced Settings at the end, untick “Use simple file sharing”, which will allow the Security Tab to be shown in the file’s properties. Also, in Folder options, make sure hidden and system files can be viewed.
To take ownership of the file (it’s best done at the folder level), right-click it, Properties, Security Tab, add your user name, fill in all the permissions and Apply. You can now access it.
click here

Access Files XP Home
Simple file sharing is enabled by default in XP Home
Note You must be logged on to the computer with an account that has administrative credentials. If you are running Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition, you must start the computer in safe mode, and then log on with an account that has Administrative rights to have access to the Security tab.
or
click here
or
click here and click on the link at part one and download the required program.
Follow the instructions and the security tab will be enabled. PLEASE READ CAREFULLY OR YOU COULD DENY ACCESS TO ALL YOUR FILES.

lauramercier85 12:37 02 Sep 2011

To fix problems with windows vista, you can download Windows Vista repair Tool which will remove all problems from your Windows. You can read the instruction to use this tool on this page: http://www.windowsvistastartup.com/ Also, you can manually restore the Windows to the previous stage but that will not fix your problem permanently. You want to fix your problems manually, follow these steps carefully.

1. Boot to the Windows Recovery Environment and select the Command Prompt
  2. At the prompt enter the following commands: cd windows\system32\config
  3. At the prompt cd windows\system32\config> enter the following: · ren default default.old · ren sam sam.old · ren system system.old · ren security security.old · ren software software.old · cd regback

4. At the prompt C:\windows\system32\config\regback> enter the following: · copy default c:\windows\system32\config · copy sam c:\windows\system32\config · copy system c:\windows\system32\config · copy security c:\windows\system32\config · copy software c:\windows\system32\config

5. Close the command prompt window and reboot the computer.

birdface 13:22 02 Sep 2011

lauramercier85

No use opening an old thread no doubt it was fixed last year.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: UAL Central Saint Martins

MacBook Pro 15-inch (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?