Windows startup

Daiol 11:53 27 Sep 2008

Hi,Its daiol again.I have a small prob'i hope its small'.When i switch on my desktop which is windows xp pro sp3 avg8,It comes to the point when the windows logo appears and you have the green line scrolling accros under the logo from left to right then you get a black screen then goes into the welcome screen and it all ok,But on 3 occasions it will hang on to the logo and the green scrolling stayes at the far left then i have to restart by pressing the stop button on the tower to get it up and running again its okay then. Any help please.

Another item i read in the forums that people are having problems with the canon ip4300 / 4500 printer heads need cleaning as the ink tends to dry up,Would it be okay to soak the printer heads in a container with cartridge flush fluid?.Thanks daiol.

rawprawn 12:58 27 Sep 2008

Try this. Check that there is no disk in A: drive, and disconnect any USB drives if you have any connected then reboot

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 14:07 27 Sep 2008

CDs /DVDs also slow the machine at this point.

Other problem could be a device driver as they are loaded during the scrolling bars.

Daiol 20:56 27 Sep 2008

Thankyou both for your replies,Firstly to rawprawn Yes i do have a blank floppy in my A drive,the reson why before i had it inserted every time the avg did a scan there would be a grouning sound coming from the A 'Floppy drive' so i was told by a gentleman on this forums to place a blank floppy into the drive and yes it did solve the grounding noise.Regarding what you said about USB drivers yes i have a printer,keyboard & a few other items would you call that USB drivers?.

Now to the reply from Fruit Bat /\0/\ Can you please be a little more specific with your thought You said CDs / DVDs would slow down can you explain i dont have any disc in the drives if that is what you mean.Secondly you mentioned a device driver are loading can you be more clearer on that as well,As im not the most intelligent pc person.Thanks both.daiol.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 22:23 27 Sep 2008

Ok so you dont have a CD in the drive.

remove the floppy from the drive and set AVG to Not scan A drive.

Daiol 08:55 28 Sep 2008

Good day to all,Thanks Fruit Bat /\0/\ for your reply,went into avg to the settings the only way i can set it to scan c drive is to tick it before every scan,Also do i need to scan every day or will once a week be sufficient ?,One other do i need windows defender to be in use with the avg 8??Thanks daiol.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?