Windows start-up and DEP

Ibrick 09:49 20 May 2009

The following is based on what happened on 19th May 2009:

When windows XP starts up, I get a message from the DEP saying "To help protect ...." and the process being shut down is "Generic Host Process for Win32 services".

Some time later (about 1 minute), I get a bubble saying “Your computer might be at risk because you have no firewall set” – which is nonsense, because it is set.

I then immediately receive a message saying "Generic Host Process for Win32 services encountered a problem and needed to close". The date/time stamp on this message is 18/05/2009 08:55:56 (nearly one day earlier !). There is an option to send an error report and I have sent it numerous times (this incident occurs nearly every day).

Then I get both messages again, but now the date/time stamp reads 19/05/2009 07:24:51 (which is correct).

No idea why or how – is that part of the problem? I do know that XP seems to think that I have two instances of itself loaded on my PC, because I get the operating system options coming up during the boot sequence, showing XP twice. The original XP install failed for some reason that I cannot now recall, so I re-installed, choosing to overwrite the existing copy.

After these messages, I can use the PC normally, but I am concerned about this DEP message. So I would really appreciate some help in sorting this. My system is fully patched, btw, and I have screenshots of the messages that I can send to anyone who can help.

Many thanks.

rawprawn 09:52 20 May 2009

Download, update free version MalwareBytes and scan
click here

Pineman100 10:57 20 May 2009

I think I would use System Restore to roll back to the 18th May (or any date before the problem started).

If it fails to work in normal mode, try running it in Safe Mode.

Ibrick 07:39 21 May 2009

raprawn, tried that and it made no difference.
Pineman, have tried that morethan once - does not help

Thanks anyway

Ibrick 07:40 21 May 2009

Sorry about misspelling your name, rawprawn

rawprawn 08:49 21 May 2009

The only way round I know would be to do a repair installation click here
You won't lose your data but you will have to update windows.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone