Windows SP2 modem problems

davegr 19:25 06 Apr 2005

I installed sp2 onto my PC Before the installation my dial up modem worked fine after installation I had lost my modem and trying reinstall it from the add new hardware but I could not find a modem. The modem is an Intel 536EP attached to com 3. I have updated driver to ver 4.76.7.0 with no change.
Restoring to remove SP2 the modem is back and functions OK
Any idears?

stalion 21:10 06 Apr 2005

^^

video 09:34 05 May 2005

Hi

I've just posted the same problem with broadband, did you get any help for yours?

gudgulf 10:16 05 May 2005

Is the modem listed under "Phone and Modem Options" in the Control Panel? If it is select and delete it. Reboot the computer and Windows should detect and install the drivers for the modem.If it is not listed or that doesn't work try this.Switch off the pc,open the pc case,disconnect the phone line and physically remove the modem.Reboot and then turn off the pc once more.

Next step is to put the modem back in and connect it to the phone line....then reboot again.Windows should detect it this time.

An Intel536EP modem works well with SP2....the computer I am working on has one in it (I'm on broadband now though!) and the driver for it contained within Windows works well too.If there is a conflict with another device indicated in the device manager by a yellow triangle you could try the modem in a different pci slot.

Stuartli 13:14 05 May 2005

Check in Device Manager that the modem is Enabled from the menu at the bottom of the General tag from the modem's Properties.

You could also uninstall it from here and reboot as gudgulf suggests.

You might care to reinstall SP2 and try the same again if you get it working.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?