Windows - Smart Restore ??

Winxx 12:37 22 Jun 2008

Hi, basically i have a packard bell with windows xp installed on it, the computer is so slow and errors are coming up all over the place there is no other choice but to restore back to time upon purchase which was over 4 years ago...

Now looking at the help booklet that came with it, it says to press F11 upon startup to display the Smart Restore screen, but all it does is display a DOS screen asking which installation to do, and if you Press 1 it asks for an administrator password which we dont know...

we dont know what to do, why isnt the smart restore wizard showing up like it says it should/.

Pineman100 14:42 22 Jun 2008

If you didn't enter your own adminstrator password when you first got the machine, then presumably it will be whatever Packard Bell uses as its default password. Why not contact them and ask them? You may find that it's something simple like "password" or "admin" or "default".

Alternatively, when you originally bought the computer, did it come with a Packard Bell restore CD? Or did you create one yourself? My Packard Bell (about the same age as yours) came with software that allowed me to make a full system restore CD that would restore the computer to its factory settings.

If you have one of these CD's, put it into the drive and then restart the computer to boot from the CD (you may first have to change the boot order in your BIOS). Then follow the instructions that the CD restore program will give you. You'll probably get two choices - a Windows repair (which will preserve your data) or a complete restore (which will destroy all your data and any software that you have installed on the machine).

Pineman100 14:55 22 Jun 2008

A couple of other password ideas.

1. Try "bell9" as the password.

2. Try just hitting Enter to bypass the password.

3. Try using one strike on the spacebar as your password.

If none of the above ideas work, then you may want to consider spending £3.95 on a CD to help you: click here

I must add that I simply found this by googling - I can't vouch for it in any way.

sinbads 17:11 22 Jun 2008

Have a look at Start > All Programs > Packard Bell Support > SmartRestore.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone