Windows Shutting Down

AubreyS 18:21 05 Jul 2004

Hi All.

I have a friends PC here at the moment which I'm trying to sort out for him I suspect the problem is due to a virus. Its running XP pro freshly installed. NAV 2003. The problem is, one the PC has been on line for a minute or so, a message box comes up saying that it will be shutting down in, Im think in about 30 seconds and proceeds to countdown. I have run the W32 Blaster Worm removal tool, also the FixWelch removal tool as well. All has failed. I cannot get online to download the critical updates or update NAV..

Help, please! Thanks.

VoG II 18:27 05 Jul 2004

Start, Run, type

shutdown -a

and click OK. That should stop it from shutting down.

Run Stinger click here

Go to Windows Update and install all critical updates.

AubreyS 19:47 05 Jul 2004

Hello VoG.
I hope that you are well and thanks for getting back to me. OK, I managed to stop the PC shutting down and manged to update NAV. I then tried to do the critical updates and I got a message saying that it cannot continiue as the clock was incorrect and I should put it right. Well he clock IS right. Any ideas?

Hello VoG.
I hope that you are well and thanks for getting back to me. OK, I managed to stop the PC shutting down and manged to update NAV. I then tried to do the critical updates and I got a message saying that it cannot continiue as the clock was incorrect and I should put it right. Well he clock IS right. Any ideas?

Hello VoG.

AubreyS 19:48 05 Jul 2004

No, I don't have a stutter! :)

VoG II 20:04 05 Jul 2004

Are you sure the date is right?

What is the exact message please?

AubreyS 20:18 05 Jul 2004

Hi VoG. This is the message that I am getting....

Windows Update has encountered an error. This may be due to a discrepancy in your computer's time setting.

To check your date and time setting:

On the taskbar, double-click the time.
Verify that the date and time is correct.

AubreyS 20:20 05 Jul 2004

Yes the date, time and year are correct.

VoG II 20:25 05 Jul 2004

SSL settings I think click here

AubreyS 20:39 05 Jul 2004

Yes that's the same as I'm getting but in his case, this behaviour started right AFTER the Windows Update client was updated by the Windows Update website. I have not managed to get that far yet. All I have updated is NAV. At the moment, I have changed some of the settings on Stinger and I'm running it again.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

InVision Studio takes on Adobe XD and Sketch

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?