Windows setup not recognising hard disk

Chrissib 12:35 24 Aug 2009

Trying to fix a laptop, but having found errors on the hardrive, I formatted the partition. The diagnostic software recognises the drive, give stats, sectors size, partition info, make/model, tests OK, but when I go to load Windows from my setup disk, (used OK previously - backup + master), the Setup program does not recognise there is a hardisk present, and wont continue.

I have no other options on the setup disk, as it wont continue without the drive being recognised. Has anyone got any suggestions. It's a Toshiba laptop.

Try using an external hard drive if possible. I have a Toshiba laptop to. I had the same problem.

Zeppelyn 13:40 24 Aug 2009

Just replaced a hard drive in a two year old Toshiba. Drive was a Fujitsu 80gb and was totally unreadable, suggest you replace yours.

Chrissib 16:28 25 Aug 2009

I was rather hoping someone may be able to tell me how to get the setup disk to see the hard disk, as I do not have an external HDD or wish to buy one when the one in the laptop has passed all read/write tests, and formatted ok in diagnostics.

It seems that getting it to accept a 'system' on it is the problem, not that it is faulty.

Jim_F 17:16 25 Aug 2009

If its SATA/XP it may need the drivers after the 'press F6' prompt - usually on a floppy although a slipstreamed cd can be used (Google search nlite).

If a clean install has worked in the past then it may be that some data on the drive is still seen as corrupt - generally the manufacturers utilities can be used to return the disk to factory state.

Chrissib 12:04 02 Sep 2009

I suspect you are correct, and I have obtained raid drivers from the Toshiba manaufacturers web site, but I have tried nlite to create a profile for burning, but the program crashes after about 20 minutes when finalising. Is there any idiots guides to creating the process from nlite?

Jim_F 11:07 05 Sep 2009

This seems to be the best: click here

An alternative is to use a USB floppy drive - unfortunately Microsoft have determined that this is the only drive type recognised at the F6 prompt but they do offer their own instructions on how to modify Wimndows here:
click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

50 best online Adobe XD tutorials

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?