Windows setup

huzzar 18:21 29 Jul 2003

A friend (really) has foolishly put Windows ME on top of Windows ME to try and sort a problem out and now has more problems.

Her computer will close down at all - all she gets is a blank screen and there it hangs.

I have tried the sound file etc to no avail and was thinking of doing a format.

I looked in her Control Panel and noticed that she has a "delete Windows ME" mention in "Add/Remove Programs". and was wondering if her computer originally has Win 98 installed. If it hasn't - would the "delete Windows ME" program be there?

ade.h 23:06 29 Jul 2003

Have you tried System Restore? (in Accessories, System Tools) Try taking it back to a date when you know it worked fine. That Control Panel entry is new to me so may be a result of the re-install attempt. If so, you could try it, but backup your files first.

huzzar 09:15 30 Jul 2003

Sorry ade.h - I forgot to mention that Sys Restore doesn't work, it is howing 1 December 1889 and won't move from it.

ade.h 23:15 31 Jul 2003

Kind of ironic that even Sys Restore is out of order - this one is a toughie. I'll ask around and get back to you if I have more info. It may be possible to re-install Sys-restore - put a fresh post on the forum and see if you get more responses. Good luck.

ade.h 01:00 01 Aug 2003

Hi - had another thought. Have a look in Windows Explorer (with "show hidden files" enabled in folder options) and check the properties of a few system files to see when they were modified, or even if there are duplicate entries (search for an appropriate file by name). Any of this would suggest that Win ME has indeed installed over the top of itself and created a mess. If the Explorer tree seems tidy (expand it fully by clicking the plus signs) then go to Start, Run and type regedit. Be careful not to change or delete stuff in Regedit; just look for duplicate entries. Search for "registry" in Google to find some helpful sites, some of which may take you thru' what it should look like. Hope this gets you a little closer. BfN.

huzzar 10:14 01 Aug 2003

Thanks again ade.h. I see where you are going and I will have a look when I am next there.

I would still like to hear any thoughts on my original post though - namely; -

"I looked in her Control Panel and noticed that she has a "delete Windows ME" mention in "Add/Remove Programs". and was wondering if her computer originally has Win 98 installed. If it hasn't - would the "delete Windows ME" program be there?"

woody 10:22 01 Aug 2003

Back up all your data/files/programs and format - load clean.If you do not understand this ask.

huzzar 10:36 01 Aug 2003

Yes Woody - I am prepairing to do that but really wanted to avoid it if I could. I know how to format a disk but what do you mean by "load clean"? its a phrase I haven't come across before.

Does anyone know why a "Delete an OS" would be listed in "Add/Remove Programs"? does it mean that the computer would revert to the previous installed OS or what?

hugh-265156 10:38 01 Aug 2003

Delete an OS will appear if say you upgraded from 98 to me.

ade.h 19:48 01 Aug 2003

Huzzar - From what I've heard it sounds like you slhuold be safe to try the "delete WinME" option.
Then you can reinstall ME if the problems are cured. Bear in mind, though, that a clean install will always be that bit more stable than an upgrade - you can still do this with upgrade editions of Windows if you have a full prior version.

silliw 21:26 01 Aug 2003

Windows 98Se and Me upgrades always left an option in control panel to remove so that you could revert back to your original OS if you didnt like the upgrade. You may find that the original ME was in such a bad state that the second installation of ME was recognised as an upgrade and if you remove it you will be left with the corrupt?? position you started from.

The best option is to reformat the drive and do a clean installation of ME if it is a full version.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?