windows service pack 3 download problems

drivingschool 14:50 10 Sep 2008

hi everyone,
i hope someone can advise me on this problem,when trying to download service pack 3 i suddenley got blue screen with error message, that read windows has been shut down to avoid damage to your computer,bad_pool_caller. i have plenty of memory so i do not think this is the problem.all windows updates since have downloaded without problems. i understand through other press articles and forums there have been a lot of problems downloading service pack 3.is this a vital windows update and can i do without it.many thanks

Clapton is God 15:08 10 Sep 2008

Several questions in your post:

"there have been a lot of problems downloading service pack 3". Really? Not that I'm aware of.

"is this a vital windows update". Yes.

"can i do without it". Probably not, because at some time in the future MS will block new updates to your PC unless you have SP3.

john bunyan 15:57 10 Sep 2008

drivingschool. There have been many threads on this - suggest you read them. Basically, download SP3 to desktop (don't install yet), disconnect from internet, disable firewall and anti virus . then install SP3, reboot, re-enable firewall and anti virus before connecting to internet. Many people have had no problems but some anti virus etc seems to have problems, as I did with a MCE XP system.

provider 2 16:57 10 Sep 2008

Quite a long read, but hopefully it will contain some of the answers you need:

click here

Ditch999 17:11 10 Sep 2008

"is this a vital windows update" = No
"can i do without it" = Yes

If you really want it, go to the Microsoft Windows Update website (Tools>Windows Updates in IE) and see if it is offered to you. If it is not then your PC is not suitable for it. Also follow the advice in the link provider 2 gave if you are installing it.

drivingschool 17:41 10 Sep 2008

thanks for all your advice, i will try john bunyans solution and disconnect from the internet. i will let you all know if this worked. as soon as i can. once again many thanks for all the advice. a great response as usual

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?