Windows Server 2003

Epocs 12:04 04 Aug 2006

Hi, does anyone know how you install per user/desktop licenses (CALs) on Windows Server 2003 R2? I have tried using the license utility to add them but after a couple of day, and a reboot, the history has gone and all users are shown as unlicensed.
This suggests I merely added the purchase history rather than actually installing them. Whenever I search all I find is how to install terminal services licenses, which is not what I need to do. We have the licenses, sheets of MS original paper with some details on, but no instructions how to install. Thanks.

recap 12:58 04 Aug 2006

Make sure the Licensing Service is turned on first. To do this go to Administrative Tools/Services navigate to License Logging.

Once the service has started you can enter the number of licenses by either per device or Per User, or server. To do this open Administrative Tools/Licenses, click the License option on the tool bar, then new license. select the Prioduct from the drop down menu, enter the quantity and the license mode.

Epocs 13:00 04 Aug 2006

Thanks for your reply. This is the method I have followed, however following a reboot this information has disappeared. Also, when adding the licenses it does not ask for a key and so appears to be more of a way of tracking license purchases rather than actually installing.

recap 13:06 04 Aug 2006

If they are volume licenses/eopen license they can be accessed from click here. To use this site you will require your License Authorisation Number and your License Number, which Microsoft should have supplied.

Epocs 13:39 04 Aug 2006

They aren't eopen or volume licenses, just CALs. Do microsoft not enforce licensing on their servers?

recap 14:37 04 Aug 2006

Sorry Epocs, I have not activated CAL's on our server. The only things I have found on MS are the following click here

Hope somebody else can help you further?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

HP’s new Surface Pro rival is designed specifically for Adobe-using designers and artists

Best kids apps for iPhone & iPad

Que faire si son iPhone ou iPad est tombé dans de l'eau ?