windows security warning

amosoreilly 12:48 25 Aug 2009

I am running vista with ie8 and use norton security. My updates are all complete and i have scanned for viruses etc all well. Today whenever i try to sign into paypal or ebay i get a security message, THE WEBPAGE WILL NOT BE DELIVERED USING SECURE HTTPS CONNECTION, i have only got this problem from this morning, when i try to sign in i get the padlock showing so all should be well, what could be causing this, with thanks.

birdface 12:51 25 Aug 2009

Maybe a cookie problems.You could try with the Firewall turned off just to eliminate that.

amosoreilly 13:42 25 Aug 2009

yes i disabled norton firewall and when i signed into ebay all went well. what does this mean though, do i have a cookie, just that i scanned with norton and it picked up none, what should i do, with thanks.

Sea Urchin 15:40 25 Aug 2009

This happens in IE8 when the website you are accessing has both secure and non-secure content. It may help you to go to Tools/Internet Options/Advanced tab. Scroll down to the bottom and uncheck the box beside 'warn if changing between secure and not-secure mode' - click Apply and OK.

You could also try disabling third-party cookies - these are usually advertising and not much missed. Go to Tools/Internet Options/Privacy tab. Click on Advanced button (not tab). Place a tick in Override Automatic Cookie Handling, and then click the radio button beside Block Third-Party Cookies. If that should cause you other problems you can always return to how it was.

birdface 20:06 25 Aug 2009

Either that or check you firewall to see if that is stopping them, Not sure how you do it with Norton Firewall but I am sure someone can explain it you.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?