Windows Security Centre - Spoof Adware?

penguin1 12:35 29 Apr 2008

I have what appears to be Security Centre come up every time I start up and the shield is resident - bottom right. Then all sorts of error messages encourage me to reopen the shield window and buy the software SystemErrorFixer.

Nothing seems to be able to get rid of this... I've loaded and tried at least six AV/Adware programs... any ideas?

Taff™ 12:53 29 Apr 2008

An increasing number of these over the last two weeks. I`m trying to get rid of one now and after wasting 4 hours trying to identify/remove the thing I`ve resorted to a factory reset. Is this an option for you? Can you back up all your essential data?

rdave13 13:24 29 Apr 2008

If you don't fancy restoring to factory re-set then try a malware removal forum such as Bleepingcomputers.com; click here

dogbreath1 13:56 29 Apr 2008

Run the AV and AM scans again but with 'system restore' disabled and the PC in 'safe mode'.

igk 15:22 29 Apr 2008

My son had a very similar problem 6 or so months ago and it was called "Spydawn" I googled and found a downloadable fix (exe file) that fixed it, this may be your problem.
Hope this helps...

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?