Windows Security Centre message Genuine?

Duncanf 18:57 24 Apr 2008

When starting Mozilla Firefox this afternoon I've received a message that appears to be from Windows Security Centre saying ....Anti Virus Alert...Your system has undergone an intrusion of a spyware...your anti-virus does not protect your computer from this kind of threat.
It then suggests I scan the computer using the scan key at the foot of the screen.I haven't done anything other than deleting the page in case it isn't genuine.
I have AVG Free edition installed and ad aware.
Can anyone suggest the follow up? Thanks.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:27 24 Apr 2008

Sounds very dodgy to me

VoG II 19:38 24 Apr 2008

I would scan with SuperAntispyware click here

Duncanf 21:30 24 Apr 2008

Thanks for suggestions. Before VoG™ 's suggestion of installing SuperAntispyware came through I was already scanning the whole system with AVG. No threats were detected. At end of scan I rebooted and the 'Windows Security' page again came up when Mozilla Firefox page was activated. After installing and running SuperAntispyware over 200 items were highlighted!!! I quarantined all, rebooted and again the 'Windows Security' page came up, this time suggesting that a Mata Hari and Alexa threat might be on the computer. Not sure what to do now.

bluto1 21:47 24 Apr 2008

If it were my PC I'd uninstall Mozilla Firefox, making sure I had another Firewall in place and boot up again. It could be something brought in on the back of Firefox.

VoG II 22:09 24 Apr 2008

Run HJT click here and post your log on the MWR site click here

Duncanf 00:10 25 Apr 2008

Thanks, both of you. Sorry for delay in reply. I'm having trouble getting on internet as Mozilla wasn't opening.
I tried bluto 1's suggestion and re-installed Mozilla but internet is not coming on when Mozilla icon is being clicked. Got in another way and will now try VoG™'s HJT move. Thank you again.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

30 UK artists have created vibrant posters celebrating Pride London

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?