Windows Security Centre

Stirkius 23:35 13 Jan 2006

I have restored my computer from scratch due to a total system crash. I used the recovery discs provided by mt manufacturer , downloaded xp2 and got a nice clean operating system on my machine
BUT I then downloaded Norton System Works 2005 and all went well till i cam to turn on the Windows Firewall.
I cannot find an icon in the control panel foe Windows Security to activate it ? - it seems to have disappeared
Is there any way I can get the icon back or does anyone have any ideas why it might have disappeared (is there some conflict with NSW ?)

xania 23:43 13 Jan 2006

Frankly, I wouldn't bother. I certainly wouldn't trust my security to Mr Gates. If you've taken the trouble of installing Systemworks, get a couple of free Spyare blasters (Adaware etc), make sure you set up to download all the Windows security updates and leave it at that.

Stuartli 23:53 13 Jan 2006

If you open Security Center from Start>Programs>Accessories>System Tools you find the means to Disable the Windows Firewall.

Kev.Ifty 00:00 14 Jan 2006

Something you could try...

START/RUN type services.msc then hit OK.

Look for Security Center in the list. Double click it and have a look at the settings. It should be set to Automatic.

If it isn't there.. Maybe.. I hate to say it, but try SP2 download again!!

Sorry Kev ;-)

mrcnfox 05:53 14 Jan 2006

Recently I got a new pc with xp. I used windows firewall for about a week. I noticed during this time that the firewall allowed programs to connect to the internet without my permission. i didnt like this so downloaded zone alarm free and switched off windows firewall. Zone alarm just wont allow that sort of behaivior.
In addition, I downloaded the beta of windows antispy program. It found quite a few spyware programs and keyloggers and spy cookies ect. However, when I ran Spybot search and destroy ( a freeware program, it found dozens that the windows program missed.
In short, avoid using windows firewall and use spybot search and destroy in addition to any other antispyware program you use. i would also recommend the free version of avg antivirus over any product shipped with your system.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

See mcbess's iconic style animated for Mercedes-Benz

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Black Friday 2017 : date, sites participants & bonnes affaires