Windows says Norton Firewall turned off

playmofire 16:26 01 Dec 2007

I'm using a FSC Amilo with Windows Vista Home Premium and Norton Internet Security. According to Norton, the firewall is turned on, but according to Windows Security both Windows Firewall and Norton are turned off. When I try to turn Norton on via Windows Security, I'm told "Norton Internet Security has not provided Security Centre with a necessary program. Choosing this option only closes this dialogue box." Has anyone come across this before, and is Norton Firewall running or not?

citadel 16:54 01 Dec 2007

control panel, admin tools, double click services shortcut, scroll down to norton av firewall, it should say started.

vista security center is badly bugged if you search any av help forum you will read these threads. i gad to do this:
security center reset:
start>> all programs>> accessories
right click command promt
select run as admin

type carefully and enter after each line (or copy and paste)
net stop winmgmt
cd /d %windir%\system32\wbem
ren repository repository.old
net start winmgmt

exit command prompt go into security center you will be prompted to turn it on and it should now show correct info.

whenever i changed security programs, it still showed some anti spyware was installed however. dont worry what it reports trust the av as securty center doesnt mean much.

playmofire 17:53 01 Dec 2007

Thanks for this citadel. However, I've done that and there's no mention about Norton at all, but there are references to Symantec, although no mention of firewall.

playmofire 18:36 01 Dec 2007

I've done that adman2 and Vista's first response was now to say "No antivirus installed". I rebooted and still got this message and then got a message from Norton to say Windows firewall was in use but Norton recommended Norton. So I switched Norton on and now Windows Security Centre doesn't recognise any firewall or antivirus running.

Ah, the wonders of Windows!

GameGirl 11:01 17 Dec 2007

Hi playmofire,

I had the same problems a few while back. A friend of mine (and kind of a "PC pro") advised me to check if all current updates (Windows and Norton) are installed for a better "synchronisation" between the two programmes. He said that after that is taken care of, although the Windows Security Centre might say something else, once the Norton Firewall shows "turned on" in the Norton screen this Firewall is running.

GameGirl 11:02 17 Dec 2007

Hi playmofire,

I had the same problems a few while back. A friend of mine (and kind of a "PC pro") advised me to check if all current updates (Windows and Norton) are installed for a better "synchronisation" between the two programmes. He said that after that is taken care of, although the Windows Security Centre might say something else, once the Norton Firewall shows "turned on" in the Norton screen this Firewall is running.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?